The Student Room Group

Columbia vs. Oxford

I'm an incoming undergrad student looking to get into journalism or diplomacy and holding offers from both Oxford (modern languages) and Columbia (you go in undeclared, but probably political science with a minor in comparative lit or languages). Is either stronger for the field I am looking to get into?
I'd imagine Oxford.
Hmm... go with the British university: I think it will give you a more free-thinking education. That's surely an asset. It seems that it would make more sense to do a good languages degree, working hard, and then do post grad in political science (you don't need to have done it undergrad!).
Depends on where you want to work. I imagine Columbia would be useful if you wanted to work in the US.

But still, Oxford.
If wanting to serve as a foreign ambassador, can't imagine any time spent abroad--let alone a degree at Oxford--could be seen as a bad thing. Writing styles are slightly different in England and U.S. meaning that journalism may be slightly more difficult to get into from the UK, but again, imagine it'd be easier to network yourself coming from Ox than Columbia where many other students will be looking to enter the same industry.
Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending