The Student Room Group

Should I try and claim JSA?

Scroll to see replies

having been on both JSA and having a student loan, I can tell you the loan is significantly more generous, even after taking out what I paid I rent/bills compared to living at home on JSA.

At OP, if you need the money do it, if not don't. What they can give to you in help finding a job will, in my opinion be worth nowhere near the 40 hour investment you will be expected to make. Also bare in mind they will take any and every opportunity to not give you money from week to week.
Original post by lustawny
Well, at least you'd be guaranteed to know exactly what sort of stuff a full time student would potentially spend their JSA dole money on. There's no way of ascertaining what a non-studious JSA claimant is likely to spend this money on, however. A lot of them take the absolute piss, by spending it on things like drink and drugs, instead of on practical things like food, clothing etc.

People like this make me sick to my stomach:

The clue is in the name JOB SEEKERS ALLOWANCE.

Presumably they have to eat and clothe themselves like everyone else.

You are not guaranteed to know what a student spends their money on that is ridiculous. the idea that people on JSA are spending it on drink and drugs compared with a student who sepnds all their money on books is rather ignorant and naive.
I think their academics would be a much higher priority to them than drink and drugs, no? If not, then they're clearly a failure/waster of a student, and aren't worthy of studying at university level in the first place.

And by that logic peple on JSA are more interested in getting a job than drink and drugs. Maybe they wnat to get a job becayse they can then afford to buy greater quantities of drink and drugs when compared to the £50-70 they get.

The idea that students are more virtuous than the general population is laughable.
Original post by Dinasaurus
I am 18 in a gap year and currently still in part time education through a private tutor and I have A level exams coming up in May and June.

I am trying to find part time work in the mean time and I am finding it impossible, most jobs are full time jobs which although I could technically do, spending 40 hours a week at work isn't really what I want to do because I am spending most of my free time on school work, I have 8 A level exams coming up.

I also have university applications and student finance etc to sort out, I already made my firm and insurance, so it is not like I am just doing exams for nothing.

Should I try and claim JSA during this time?

You could do but you have to demonstrate that you are actively seeking work and you have to go down to the job centre every fortnight with proof.
Original post by 999tigger
The clue is in the name JOB SEEKERS ALLOWANCE.

Presumably they have to eat and clothe themselves like everyone else.

You are not guaranteed to know what a student spends their money on that is ridiculous. the idea that people on JSA are spending it on drink and drugs compared with a student who sepnds all their money on books is rather ignorant and naive.

How, exactly? I've just given you conclusive evidence of this, in the video I posted. Of course I'm not saying that every non-studious benefit claimant is like this. I, myself, currently claim ESA because I'm struggling with a mental health condition at the moment (I'm not studying anything), and I only ever make a point of spending this money on practical things - I've never gone out of my way to spend it on alcohol and drugs.

You can't call me naive and ignorant for (quite rightly) pointing out that it does happen in many cases, with many other benefit claimants.
Original post by 999tigger
And by that logic peple on JSA are more interested in getting a job than drink and drugs. Maybe they wnat to get a job becayse they can then afford to buy greater quantities of drink and drugs when compared to the £50-70 they get.

How can you know that for sure, though? How can you know that everyone who claims JSA has this kind of attitude?

The idea that students are more virtuous than the general population is laughable.

Like I've already said, any so-called "student" who makes buying alcohol and drugs in order to have a good time at uni a priority over their academics, isn't even worthy of the title 'student'.
How, exactly? I've just given you conclusive evidence of this, in the video I posted. Of course I'm not saying that every non-studious benefit claimant is like this. I, myself, currently claim ESA because I'm struggling with a mental health condition at the moment (I'm not studying anything), and I only ever make a point of spending this money on practical things - I've never gone out of my way to spend it on alcohol and drugs.

You can't call me naive and ignorant for (quite rightly) pointing out that it does happen in many cases, with many other benefit claimants.

The video you posted is in no way conclusive evidence since it doesn't rule out the possibility that they're atypical for a JSA claimant, nor does it demonstrate responsibl, studious spending from students, while a trip to a nightclub in any university city would show that students spend considerable amounts on booze.
Well, at least you'd be guaranteed to know exactly what sort of stuff a full time student would potentially spend their JSA dole money on. There's no way of ascertaining what a non-studious JSA claimant is likely to spend this money on, however. A lot of them take the absolute piss, by spending it on things like drink and drugs, instead of on practical things like food, clothing etc.

People like this make me sick to my stomach:

To my defense, if I do claim most of the money will go to buying for my phone and food, considering I am in my tiny hometown and most of my friends are at uni, going out isn't really something I do often.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending