The Student Room Group

Road Markings numbers in circles

What does say a white 40 inside a white circle marked on the road mean (or 50 or whatever). Is it the max speed? The min speed is 40? The max? This is an exactly a 40mph zone?
Thanks.
I've attatched a pic.
max speed 40... it should be backing up a roadside red circle speed limit sign.
Original post by Arcane1729
What does say a white 40 inside a white circle marked on the road mean (or 50 or whatever). Is it the max speed? The min speed is 40? The max? This is an exactly a 40mph zone?
Thanks.
I've attatched a pic.

It's the speed limit... There's no such thing as a 'minimum speed limit' or an 'exact speed limit'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arcane1729
Thanks.
I've attatched a pic.

It's the maximum speed. There is no minimum speed limit in England.
Original post by shaymarriott
There's no such thing as a 'minimum speed limit'

Yes there is. They are used in Germany in particular, in the outside lane of autobahns, and also on similar roads in Ireland. The sign is in the highway code.

In Britain, I remember there is, or used to be, a minimum speed limit of 30mph in the Mersey and Dartford tunnels.
Original post by Good bloke
Yes there is. They are used in Germany in particular, in the outside lane of autobahns, and also on similar roads in Ireland. The sign is in the highway code.

In Britain, I remember there is, or used to be, a minimum speed limit of 30mph in the Mersey and Dartford tunnels.

Yes and there is minimum speeds in US and Canada too.

I believe in England, the only minimum speeds are for heavy goods vehicles or temporary minimum speed limits.
Original post by elizabetht96

I believe in England, the only minimum speeds are for heavy goods vehicles or temporary minimum speed limits.

Well, I gave two British examples that apply to all vehicles and that are not temporary.
Reply 7
It's the speed limit... There's no such thing as a 'minimum speed limit' or an 'exact speed limit'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's the maximum speed. There is no minimum speed limit in England.

Yes there is. I suppose you're also the kind of drivers who have no idea what the white circle with a black line through it means and merrily continue at 30mph (and then flash the crazed maniac that has just overtaken you)?
Original post by FXX
Yes there is. I suppose you're also the kind of drivers who have no idea what the white circle with a black line through it means and merrily continue at 30mph (and then flash the crazed maniac that has just overtaken you)?

a minimum speed sign is a blue sign. a white sign with the black line through it is a national speed limit sign?
Well, I gave two British examples that apply to all vehicles and that are not temporary.

you said you weren't sure if they used to be there, i'm just trying to say that as far as i'm aware there is no minimum speed limit sign in England for cars. If there is, there is very few!
you said you weren't sure if they used to be there, i'm just trying to say that as far as i'm aware there is no minimum speed limit sign in England for cars. If there is, there is very few!

I know they used to be there and probably still are. I have not driven there for some time. There are few such limits, but the facility exists and is used.
Original post by FXX

Noooo no no I'm not one of those...

What I meant is that there is no actual legislation for minimum speed limits. I.e. You'd be a complete idiot to do 30 on the dual carriageway/motorway (conditions allowing) and would likely get prosecuted for driving without due care & attn...

But exceeding the speed limit is a specific offence(s) whereas there's no actual law particularly aimed at a minimum speed limit.

Where you get a square sign telling you the speed limit (max or min) it's only legally enforceable through driving without due care/dangerous driving etc., and again there isn't specific legislation surrounding it as a formal minimum speed limit - it's just advisory.

Also conditions on the road or traffic may mean you end up crawling along NSL roads (without being prosecuted), but you'll probably never find conditions (within the law - we all know doing 70 in the offside lane of a motorway is practically suicide) making it safer to drive at well above the speed limit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Although incredibly rare nowadays, there ARE minimum speed limits in the UK and they are legally enforceable e.g. via s.88 (7) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 or e.g. Mersey Tunnels Byelaws 2003, Part 1 3(r)
I know they used to be there and probably still are. I have not driven there for some time. There are few such limits, but the facility exists and is used.

Apparently the A45 Nene Valley Way in Northampton has a plain red rimmed circle "no vehicles" sign qualified by a plate prohibiting vehicles incapable of maintaining 25mph.

The person who posted this on the internet though that this was a developer's private signage and unofficial but I am not sure. The development is called Loch View and so this may be to stop motorists dawdling to view the loch. The poster makes the point that as there are streetlights, the maximum speed along this road is 30 mph not 60mph.

(edited 8 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

The blue ones are minimum speed limits, usually found in tunnels or dangerous roads where going slow is dangerous.
However - if there is a reason to drop below that minimum speed limit (accident or flood or similar) then you won't be prosecuted.

So it's not really the same...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
yes, these are speed limits for the road you are currently driving on. these are popping up quite a bit now and have proved more effective than the traditonal speed limit sign posts.
Original post by Club YCD
these are popping up quite a bit now.

That sounds dangerous.
Original post by nulli tertius
Apparently the A45 Nene Valley Way in Northampton has a plain red rimmed circle "no vehicles" sign qualified by a plate prohibiting vehicles incapable of maintaining 25mph.

The person who posted this on the internet though that this was a developer's private signage and unofficial but I am not sure. The development is called Loch View and so this may be to stop motorists dawdling to view the loch. The poster makes the point that as there are streetlights, the maximum speed along this road is 30 mph not 60mph.

might be this place... https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.8935091,-4.0768249,3a,75y,9.19h,77.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sosVhlWKBbIEngWuhD2VywA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

in which case the view isn't anything to get excited about

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending