The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The classic OiL RiG...

Oxidation is a loss in electron(s)
Reduction is a gain in electron(s)
Reply 2
Yeah I remember that :P .. Can someone please make up a mnemonics for the positive ions test and stuff.. I've got GCSE Science exam soon!! AHH!
Reply 3
not a mnemonic but my teacher taught us this:

The "Pussitive" ions go from the Cation

:biggrin:
Reply 4
Yea our teacher taught us that and everyone was laughing lol. Anything else useful? I can't remember the stupid negative ion test - you know the silver nitrate solution and the barium chloride.. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHh
Reply 5
Catchetat
Yea our teacher taught us that and everyone was laughing lol. Anything else useful? I can't remember the stupid negative ion test - you know the silver nitrate solution and the barium chloride.. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

Yes it could be quite annoying at first. But you have to force yourself to remember these things - for exam's sake.

Silver nitrate used to test halides.

Barium chloride used to test for sulphate. (If you cont. chemistry, you will learn why the ppt. barium sulphate is insoluble.)
Reply 6
Eau
(If you cont. chemistry, you will learn why the ppt. barium sulphate is insoluble.)

Because it feels like it :P No serious why is it insoluble. Do we need to know this!
Reply 7
BlakDog
Because it feels like it :P No serious why is it insoluble. Do we need to know this!

Because it feels like it... lol.

Briefly,

Solution enthalpy = Hydration enthalpy - Lattice enthalpy

In barium sulphate, lattice enthalpy > hydration enthalpy. So solution enthalpy relatively endothermic.
Reply 8
I used the very helpful acronym, ACPN - Anode Cathode Positive Negative. :P

Btw, I don't think ACPN stands for anything else - I was just bored while revising GCSE Chemistry and wrote ACPN about a hundred times on a piece of paper. ^_^
Reply 9
Eau

Solution enthalpy = Hydration enthalpy - Lattice enthalpy

In barium sulphate, lattice enthalpy > hydration enthalpy. So solution enthalpy relatively endothermic.

I think i get it but i don't need it yet.
Reply 10
If you need biology ones - Kinky People Can Often Find Good Sex
- takes the bore off ecology - not much though.
Reply 11
its maths but anyway...sex on holiday can always happen to our advantage..Trigonometry.

Sin=opp/hyp, Cos=adj/hyp, Tan=opp/adj
Gate X Usually Lets In Most Radiation
Gamma rays, X-rays, Ultraviolet light, visible Light, Infrared, Microwaves, Radio waves
Reply 13
probaby not helpful but i know of one for the stages of events in prophase I of meiosis
Led Zeplin Punishes Dotty Dogs

Leptotene
Zygotene
Pachytene
Diplotene
Diakinesis

stupid but it works...lol
Reply 14
stages of mitosis:

Please make another two

prophase
metaphase
anaphase
telophase
mkgm1
I used the very helpful acronym, ACPN - Anode Cathode Positive Negative. :P

Btw, I don't think ACPN stands for anything else - I was just bored while revising GCSE Chemistry and wrote ACPN about a hundred times on a piece of paper. ^_^

Peh, ya see we had a rearrangement of this actually taught to us.

PANIC

Positive Anode Negative Is Cathode.

Easy.
kclives
not a mnemonic but my teacher taught us this:

The "Pussitive" ions go from the Cation

:biggrin:

And therefore by the reverse argument:

Cations are Pussitive.

Which is what my Chem teacher taught me so many moons ago.
Reply 17
Richard - Red
Of - Orange
York - Yellow
Gave - Green
Battle - Blue
In - Indigo
Vain - Violet
Reply 18
Mitosis: I'm Pat

I: Interphase
M: Metaphase
P: Prophase
A: Anaphase
T: Telophase

I thought it was excellent! :biggrin: I always struggle with the order, and came up with that :smile:
Reply 19
Wangers
If you need biology ones - Kinky People Can Often Find Good Sex
- takes the bore off ecology - not much though.

I wish I'd known that when I was doing biology!:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending