The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Applying for Linguistics and Korean

I am looking to apply to SOAS at the end of this year (graduate in 2017) and I wanted to take Linguistics with Korean. At the UCAS convention I was told that I don't need a language qualification as I am currently doing English Literature, Psychology, Sociology and Biology at AS. But I am starting to learn Korean which I was told would count towards something, but as I have just started I was wondering how advanced I would need to be in order to get some credit?
Also, I want to do some work experience to improve my personal statement, but I don't know what kind of experience is relevant to Linguistics or what I could do in my area?
Thanks
@SOAS Student Helper
Your tag didn't seem to work so I'll do it for you @SOAS Student Helper

I don't think work experience really matters to universities, there are other things you could do which would improve your personal statement (such as beginning to read some of the books on the SOAS reading list).
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by TheHungryStudent
I am looking to apply to SOAS at the end of this year (graduate in 2017) and I wanted to take Linguistics with Korean. At the UCAS convention I was told that I don't need a language qualification as I am currently doing English Literature, Psychology, Sociology and Biology at AS. But I am starting to learn Korean which I was told would count towards something, but as I have just started I was wondering how advanced I would need to be in order to get some credit?
Also, I want to do some work experience to improve my personal statement, but I don't know what kind of experience is relevant to Linguistics or what I could do in my area?
Thanks
@SOAS Student Helper

Hi there,

It's great to hear you are hoping to apply to SOAS.

For applications to Linguistics and Korean, we would usually be looking for a language qualification (e.g. an A level or a good GCSE), however we might also be able to consider other foreign language learning experience depending on the language class you are currently taking. For further advice on this you can contact our undergraduate admissions team ([email protected]) and provide them with further details on the Korean that you are learning at the moment.

Work experience can be helpful in a personal statement but is by no means essential as many students do not have this, particularly at undergraduate level. As Snufkin suggested, if you would like to do some further reading you may want to have a look at the Linguistics reading lists (visit our Linguistics undergraduate modules webpage and click on the individual units to see these). Aside from this you might also want to include other more general life experience and future plans along with other motivations in your personal statement.

All the best,

Laura

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending