The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Somerville College (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Finally! Hopefully I'll be joining lovely Somerville next year.
Anyone here who can tell me wonderful things about it?

Scroll to see replies

If all goes well I'll be at Somerville next year too :smile: which is a rather exciting prospect now it's only a few months away.
It wasn't my first choice college though, and I spent most of the time in my room fretting about interviews or with my friends from back home that were down for interviews too, so I quite regret that I didn't get to know much about the college or meet students etc. So any info would be great!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Hey,
I'm a current undergraduate at Somerville, studying classics and German so if any of you potential freshers 2007 have a question just ask and I'll try to answer them...

and yes pogo is cute, and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Vaughan (it is actually Vaughan btw - not Vaugh....I live there!!)
Reply 3
irishman_carl
Hey,
I'm a current undergraduate at Somerville, studying classics and German so if any of you potential freshers 2007 have a question just ask and I'll try to answer them...

and yes pogo is cute, and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Vaughan (it is actually Vaughan btw - not Vaugh....I live there!!)

Argh! It's Carl!
and argh it's PETE!!!! lol why are you lurking on the Somerville forum? thinking of reapplying to a decent college?!? ;-P
Reply 5
Hey carl! Are you trying to aid your male welfare bid by helping out freshers to be??

Luke
Reply 6
Ah Somerville, got my fingers crossed for an interview!

Any Chemists in the ranks who can give me interview tips?
I suppose the great thing about being in Vaughan is that once you're inside, it can't spoil your view anymore.
Reply 8
^^ Was my comment exactly!
Reply 9
Rustlessbowl
I suppose the great thing about being in Vaughan is that once you're inside, it can't spoil your view anymore.

I found the place to be depressing, on the inside as well! From the inside, you can still see the concrete bars outside your windows!
Does no one at this College have anything to add to the Colleges page on the wiki?

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Somerville_College%2C_Oxford

It's looking very empty and I was hoping to find something in here to add, but there is nothing :frown:
Reply 11
Hmmm, this thread seems to have died, but I'll give it a go. I just made the grades for Somerville, and I was wondering if there's anyone else on here who either got in, or is currently going. If you're going there at the moment, then what's it like - any quirks/traditions I should know about? Also, is it true that you get your first essay in fresher's week?
verylucky
Hmmm, this thread seems to have died, but I'll give it a go. I just made the grades for Somerville, and I was wondering if there's anyone else on here who either got in, or is currently going. If you're going there at the moment, then what's it like - any quirks/traditions I should know about? Also, is it true that you get your first essay in fresher's week?

I'm sure one of the helpers told me that she got her first essay in freshers week, but that was in December, and I can't even remember what happened yesterday. I suppose it's possible; freshers week starts on Tuesday the 7th, so I'm guessing it ends on the Tuesday of the 1st week of term.
Reply 13
Aha, thanks.
Do you guys have good kitchen facilities there? Might apply. :smile:
Reply 15
*revives the topic*

I got a second interview at Somerville. It didn't look as nice as Merton, where I applied, but the people were very very friendly and I loved the tutors who interviewed me. I also like the bit the website is saying about the liberal atmosphere. Anyway I haven't even got an offer in general, but I just thought I'd post something nice ^^
Zenobia
*revives the topic*

I got a second interview at Somerville. It didn't look as nice as Merton, where I applied, but the people were very very friendly and I loved the tutors who interviewed me. I also like the bit the website is saying about the liberal atmosphere. Anyway I haven't even got an offer in general, but I just thought I'd post something nice ^^

While at the same time telling us our college is ugly :mad:
Reply 17
Rustlessbowl
While at the same time telling us our college is ugly :mad:

Not quite. I only said not as nice as Merton.
In fact I don't think it's ugly at all (though I admit I haven't seen the entire college in the ten minutes I spent rushing through there to my interview).
Reply 18
Offer for maths 2009 :smile: AAA
i applied to Somerville maths G100. is there anyone else have the same situation and have you got the interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending