The Student Room Group

Which Oxford colleges have the best kitchen and en-suite access?

Just that, basically! I'm looking to possibly apply for the Foundation Year as a mature care-experienced student in 2025. Obviously many things can change between now and then, but having had to live in more 'institutional' settings I would prefer to mostly cook for myself - and additionally I need an en-suite for medical reasons. St Hugh's looks quite good, is that accurate? I would be doing the Humanities Foundation Year and hoping to do an UG degree in History.
Original post by hilly-harrier
Just that, basically! I'm looking to possibly apply for the Foundation Year as a mature care-experienced student in 2025. Obviously many things can change between now and then, but having had to live in more 'institutional' settings I would prefer to mostly cook for myself - and additionally I need an en-suite for medical reasons. St Hugh's looks quite good, is that accurate? I would be doing the Humanities Foundation Year and hoping to do an UG degree in History.

If you have a medical reason for it, Catz would give you an ensuite for all three years. Kitchen access is quite average, you have a hob but usually no oven. The college is also quite progressive - you wouldn't see the stereotypical Oxford elitism.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by emilyalexandria
If you have a medical reason for it, Catz would give you an ensuite for all three years. Kitchen access is quite average, you have a hob but usually no oven. The college is also quite progressive - you wouldn't see the stereotypical Oxford elitism.

Unfortunately they're not one of the participating colleges for the Astrophoria Foundation Year - the participating colleges are Exeter, Jesus, Keble, Mansfield, Lady Margaret Hall, Somerville, St Anne’s, St Hugh’s, Trinity, and Wadham. It doesn't say that if you apply to do a degree at Oxford afterwards you have to stay at the same college, but with the Foundation Year at Cambridge that is the case.

Unfortunately they're not one of the participating colleges for the Astrophoria Foundation Year - the participating colleges are Exeter, Jesus, Keble, Mansfield, Lady Margaret Hall, Somerville, St Anne’s, St Hugh’s, Trinity, and Wadham. It doesn't say that if you apply to do a degree at Oxford afterwards you have to stay at the same college, but with the Foundation Year at Cambridge that is the case.

I’d say fill in all the criteria into the college suggester and see which of the participating colleges come up first.

http://apply.oxfordsu.org/colleges/suggester/
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd
I’d say fill in all the criteria into the college suggester and see which of the participating colleges come up first.

http://apply.oxfordsu.org/colleges/suggester/

Thanks for reminding me of this, I did it and St Hugh's and St Anne's came out at the top. I'll check them out on the open day - I think I'll probably go for St Hugh's due to the gardens and the chapel (it doesn't seem like St Anne's has a chapel?) but St Anne's seems like it would be nice too if I ended up going there instead.
Thanks for reminding me of this, I did it and St Hugh's and St Anne's came out at the top. I'll check them out on the open day - I think I'll probably go for St Hugh's due to the gardens and the chapel (it doesn't seem like St Anne's has a chapel?) but St Anne's seems like it would be nice too if I ended up going there instead.

Excellent. St Hugh’s is a nice college, so definitely check it out.

Best of luck with your application and enjoy the open day when you go.
Reply 6
Original post by TypicalNerd
Excellent. St Hugh’s is a nice college, so definitely check it out.

Best of luck with your application and enjoy the open day when you go.

Thank you!
Reply 7

Make sure you check any info you see on the college suggester with the college before using it to make a decision - last I heard it is a few years out of date now and might not be totally accurate!
Reply 8
Original post by eeeli
Make sure you check any info you see on the college suggester with the college before using it to make a decision - last I heard it is a few years out of date now and might not be totally accurate!

It is somewhat out of date but don't worry, I did check the college websites. Also I wouldn't be starting until 2025 anyway, and applications for the Foundation Year actually have the standard January UCAS deadline.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending