The Student Room Group

GDL - BPP or University of Law

I was wondering which one would be better to do the GDL at?

Also in terms of the independent research essay at both I was wondering how much choice you get over the topic and area of law?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
The 'research essay ' is the way they traind to get on with Freud. You will be failed countless times , you will then wait for results at unexpected times with course fees. Especially if your essay is glued! The better it is, the more you will be failed.Then they 'trash you until you understand that you must come out of the course an idiot, otherwise you haven't got a chance. Chose a provider which does not have 'research essays', but written exams on clearly articulated law.
Ask for text books to look at and ask a lawyer first to look through it.
DO NOT spend 10K on a Mickey Mouse degree! You will be left penniless and heartbroken!
It's either good universities or nothing!
A GDL is a joke of a 'law' degree. You will not learn anything useful, only partial info will be provided, enough to make you think you know something...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gcm800
I was wondering which one would be better to do the GDL at?

Also in terms of the independent research essay at both I was wondering how much choice you get over the topic and area of law?

Thanks in advance

So, I went to BPP for the GDL- just graded with a pass at 57%. I found it difficult, but enjoyable. The staff where very helpful, as long as you applied yourself throughout the year you'll be fine.

I would recommended it. As for the independent essay- I got a choice of 14 topics, across roughly 10 topic areas. I did international law of conflict, but there was a topic on international trade law for example.

We also had the chance to create our own question- a friend did sport law which wasn't one of the 14 option. So plenty of choice.

Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Original post by amiami
The 'research essay ' is the way they think they can get away with fraud. You will be failed countless times , you will then wait for results, become liable for the full course fees. Especially if your essay is good! The better it is, the more you will be failed.Then they trash you until you understand that you must come out of the course an idiot, otherwise you haven't got a chance. Chose a provider which does not have 'research essays', but written exams on clearly articulated law.
Ask for text books to look at and ask a lawyer first to look through it.
DO NOT spend 10K on a Mickey Mouse degree! You will be left penniless and heartbroken!
It's either good universities or nothing!
A GDL is a joke of a law degree. You will not learn anything useful, only partial info will be provided, enough to make you think you know something...

A GDL isn't supposed to be a law degree though. It condenses the 7 modules required to practice down into a year so it's not really comparable. I certainly wouldn't call it a "mickey mouse" degree either considering almost half of solicitors now took the non-law route. Both BPP and UoL are well known GDL providers, I doubt OP would be taken for a ride by either.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Hann95
A GDL isn't supposed to be a law degree though. It condenses the 7 modules required to practice down into a year so it's not really comparable. I certainly wouldn't call it a "mickey mouse" degree either considering almost half of solicitors now took the non-law route. Both BPP and UoL are well known GDL providers, I doubt OP would be taken for a ride by either.

It's a crappy 'law degree' is what it is...How could you possibly learn anything in months,condense 3 years of an LLB into 9 moths, really? That half of solicitors you are referring to will have a very short and painful career lifespan, ending up at the SDT or a slave for life in a 'fee hungry' law firm, unless they have someone backing them up and actually teaching them. It is a commercial degree of no value whatsoever. It is an exchange of 10K for a piece of useless paper..
OP not be taken for a ride. Ride them instead.LoL
Reply 5
Original post by ShariaTM
It's a crappy 'law degree' is what it is...How could you possibly learn anything in months,condense 3 years of an LLB into 9 moths, really? That half of solicitors you are referring to will have a very short and painful career lifespan, ending up at the SDT or a slave for life in a 'fee hungry' law firm, unless they have someone backing them up and actually teaching them. It is a commercial degree of no value whatsoever. It is an exchange of 10K for a piece of useless paper..
OP not be taken for a ride. Ride them instead.LoL

It's not an LL.B though. Its the seven core modules required to practice. The LL.B includes a plethora of electives so you study more than 7 modules over the course of three years.

From what I know from people who have taken the GDL, its very intense and not everyone is cut out to do it.

Your remarks about solicitors who took the non-law route is completely unfounded. I've met a number of solicitors who got into law this way and all have proven to be very successful solicitors because your academics and route into law is only a small part of what makes a good solicitor.

You seem very bitter and I'm not sure why.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
What I meant was that you do not actually learn anything. You seem to be 'unaware' of real life practice,and how what you 'learn' in a GDL is completely useless.There is nothing in those 'core modules' that you actually learn which are required to practice. Plus you won't be taught anything ...Ask an LPC student..If you have no background in law,you might think you are learning something, but that's a different story.It is not 'intense', it's poorly conceived as a course. It is stupid. It will not help you become any sort of 'lawyer' or 'think like one'And your remarks are founded because... ? I've met a number of those solicitors too and after a few years of painful slavery ended up running around in MC and being 'fee earners' for the sharky 'sharks'.You blaming students' 'special skills' required by this useless peace off shea makes me wonder...LoL You seem very hopeful and I'm not sure why either LoL Let's leave remarks about how we are feeling the feelings aside LoL Have you taken the GDL? Do you speak from experience?
Not bitter at all, rather sweet, honestly :-)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ShariaTM
What I meant was that you do not actually learn anything. You seem to be 'unaware' of real life practice,and how what you 'learn' in a GDL is completely useless.There is nothing in those 'core modules' that you actually learn which are required to practice. Plus you won't be taught anything ...Ask an LPC student..If you have no background in law,you might think you are learning something, but that's a different story.It is not 'intense', it's poorly conceived as a course. It is stupid. It will not help you become any sort of 'lawyer' or 'think like one'And your remarks are founded because... ? I've met a number of those solicitors too and after a few years of painful slavery ended up running around in MC and being 'fee earners' for the sharky 'sharks'.You blaming students' 'special skills' required by this useless peace off shea makes me wonder...LoL You seem very hopeful and I'm not sure why either LoL Let's leave remarks about how we are feeling the feelings aside LoL Have you taken the GDL? Do you speak from experience?

1. Of course you don't learn all that's needed to know if you take the GDL. But you also don't learn all you need to know doing a law degree and the LPC. If you did, there wouldn't be a recognised period of training, would there?

2. I am an LPC student. No I haven't taken the GDL route, I have a first class law degree but I'm also not ignorant and judgemental.

3. Please proof read your replies. Your spelling and grammar is atrocious and I could barely understand what you're even trying to say half the time.
Reply 8
Wish you the best of luck possible with your studies!

No need to get personal now there, speeling wasn't 'intentional'. LoL Was said that you don't learn anything useful, not that you don't learn 'everything'.That's what the 15K LPC is for , then the TC, and then many years after you get somewhere. Not sure where . IT makes the world go round and round..

Where did you do your 'first class' law degree then? You must be a genius of some sort:-) it would be great if you could share some more knowledge pls
What skills do you think you need to become a lawyer? Have you got what you take s by nature or worked on your skills in 'depth then?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending