The Student Room Group

UEA or HYMS

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to decide between firming either UEA or HYMS for medicine, having been very fortunate and grateful to have received offers recently. The courses both offer early clinical placements, and a mix of teaching methods (PBL, lectures, etc) which seem great! But I'm finding it quite difficult to choose one or the other.

Is anyone in a similar situation, or has already decided to firm either of these universities? Are there any current students who have personal experience of studying there?

Thank you for taking the time to read this :redface:
Reply 1
Bump!
Reply 2
Original post by medicine11
Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to decide between firming either UEA or HYMS for medicine, having been very fortunate and grateful to have received offers recently. The courses both offer early clinical placements, and a mix of teaching methods (PBL, lectures, etc) which seem great! But I'm finding it quite difficult to choose one or the other.

Is anyone in a similar situation, or has already decided to firm either of these universities? Are there any current students who have personal experience of studying there?

Thank you for taking the time to read this :redface:

Hi, I'm a current UEA student. What would you like to know? :smile:
Reply 3
Hi Cam, thanks for your message :smile:

I just wanted to ask why you chose to apply to UEA, and if you had to decide where to firm/insurance on UCAS, why you decided to put UEA as firm or insurance, please?

Also, how are you finding the teaching? Is it heavily PBL based?

With regards to accommodation, did you/are you staying in university halls, and was it nice?

Thank you!
Reply 4
Hi, congrats on your offers!

I'm in 3rd year at HYMS and would say that the course is very similar to what's just been posted about UEA^ (you have loads of clinical contact throughout as well starting from the 3rd week, don't think there's anywhere with any more early clinical contact!)

Some pros for HYMS I think would be that both Hull and York are much bigger than Norwich, so more going on, more shopping, better nightlife etc. The hospitals in Hull are also very big teaching hospitals which have things like neurosurgery and cardiac surgery as well as lots of complex cases referred from the region, which might be interesting and I think the hospitals in Norwich don't have these. (not been to Norwich before but I'm pretty sure this is the case)

Either way, whatever you decide I'm sure you'll be happy wherever, feel free to message if you'd like to know more about HYMS :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ab192
Hi, congrats on your offers!

I would like to know if you have any international students from Canada and US and how they would rate it or how they feel in terms of taking the licensing exams after completing the 5 years. DO you think the teaching is well rounded in all areas meaning you are learning all the aspects of medicine and not missing on anything because of it being a PBL. also do you have any tips for interview preparation.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending