The Student Room Group

parents financial info

When applying for student finance, I've filled out all of my bits and am now just having to sort out my parents parts. But on one of the first few questions for my parents, it asks what our household income is and after selecting our answer, it says that its unlikely i'll get a lot of money from the maintenance loan (which i expected anyway), however it then asks if my parents want to submit their financial information to see if I'm allowed any additional money, or if they don't want to submit their financial info then i'm still entitled to up to just over £5,000. but even if i press no, won't my parents still have to put in their financial information in to see how much of the "up to £5,000" i'll actually be getting?
Original post by san13
When applying for student finance, I've filled out all of my bits and am now just having to sort out my parents parts. But on one of the first few questions for my parents, it asks what our household income is and after selecting our answer, it says that its unlikely i'll get a lot of money from the maintenance loan (which i expected anyway), however it then asks if my parents want to submit their financial information to see if I'm allowed any additional money, or if they don't want to submit their financial info then i'm still entitled to up to just over £5,000. but even if i press no, won't my parents still have to put in their financial information in to see how much of the "up to £5,000" i'll actually be getting?

If you select no then you will be granted the standard minimum loan with no income assessment.

If this is your first year (and if you have siblings and/or your parents make pension contributions around 10%) then it's worth getting the assessment just to get an official amount. If your parents decide it isn't worthwhile then you can always just apply for the basic loan in future years.
Original post by san13
So is that basic loan the one of £3,821?
I do have 2 sisters but theyre both moved out/married so i dont know if that still counts? My parents dont mind filling out their financial info, but i know my household income is quite high and i wouldnt want them wasting their time for nothing! But i guess its just better to input the income anyway
Posted from TSR Mobile

See page 26 of http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/6721/sfe_how_you_are_assessed_guide_1617_d.pdf

The basic loan if you aren't living with your parents is £5,300ish. If your household income is below £70k after taking off pension contributions then you may get more.

If it's your first year then I would recommend you get your household income assessed - if your parents think it is a waste of time then you can opt out of income assessment in your later years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending