The Student Room Group

Common views at university?

Hi, I'll start off by saying I'm 16, doing GCSEs and hoping to go to university after A-levels, hopefully studying maths or physics.

It's not a particularly serious question and I'm asking purely out of curiosity. I was just wondering whether anyone at university had noticed whether students tend to have similar political/religious/social beliefs? Is the stereotype that most students are liberal, non-religious green party voters, or is this cliché pretty much untrue?
I should probably say to cover myself that I wouldn't care what people's beliefs and political alignments are and that I am asking this totally out of curiosity.

Sorry if this question seems at all ignorant.
Thanks!
I'd say it varies between universities and courses although the average student will be slightly left leaning and voting labour. In general I'd say people doing courses which have a greater perceived value like engineering tend to be more centred/to the right. If we split it into fiscal and social then I'd say the large majority of students have very similar views on the social side with the exceptions of trans issues and refugees (maybe on the EU as well although not as divisively), the fiscal side is where you get a bit more variation.You generally still end up with most people being labour supporters though, with conservatives second, although there will be some unis where greens take second.
As Helloworld said, generally there is a left-leaning tendency, although the green party isn't really as strong as you think. In general, there can be a much stronger Labour support. However, there is also a fair bit of apathy to party politics, so the left-leaning is sometimes a lot more vague and theoretical unfortunately.
I really have no idea about the non-religious aspect. From what I could gather, I think there's a fair bit of religion knocking about, they just don't feel the need to advertise. Although I say that because my uni at least has a Christian Soc and a Muslim Soc, as well as possibly others. I guess the existence of these societies can make them a little insular, which is probably why students give off the appearance of being non-religious.
Original post by OliverCayless
Hi, I'll start off by saying I'm 16, doing GCSEs and hoping to go to university after A-levels, hopefully studying maths or physics.

It's not a particularly serious question and I'm asking purely out of curiosity. I was just wondering whether anyone at university had noticed whether students tend to have similar political/religious/social beliefs? Is the stereotype that most students are liberal, non-religious green party voters, or is this cliché pretty much untrue?
I should probably say to cover myself that I wouldn't care what people's beliefs and political alignments are and that I am asking this totally out of curiosity.

Sorry if this question seems at all ignorant.
Thanks!

hello,
No it docent at all, not asking these question and talking about these issues is the very thing that corrects ignorants and therefore leaves room for judgement and assumptions. So i always encourage talking about subjects like this and i have therefor learnt so much of so many different people. I am currently at Newman University and i am studying a course called working with children young people and families and the uni itself is a catholic university, however there is a range of cultures and religions and people from all different background. within lectures because of that very reason it makes debates very informative and tutor encourage this. curiosity is the first step in learning, so keep asking away :smile:
I'd probably agree with the above posters that there is only a slight leftwards leaning, but I feel, at least at my uni, that they certainly are a lot louder and heard more often than anyone of a more centrist or rightwards leaning. If I didn't know better, I would have guessed that the entire university were run by hardcore Corbynistas !

With regards to religion, I was a little surprised. At secondary school there was practically no mention of religion, apart from a few Muslims. At Uni though, there is a very active Christian Union! They run a lot of the welfare events and do lots of nice things, although taking them up on the free food usually results in you getting an earful about the good book..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending