The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE two year economics

i'm in my 3rd year (abroad) of a 4 year international management degree. seeing as i plan/hope to work in the finance sector, i have to complete a masters and i am hoping to apply to LSE.

i would just like to ask if anybody has taken and/or is currently studying in the two-year economics masters program or the MSC in finance. all they're asking for is a first and 2-1 respectively, in a related field/subject, with a proven aptitude in maths (excluding your GRE quantitative score) . i'm on track for a first next year but the maths in my course is quite limited. introduction to econometrics, corporate finance and financial accounting are the only quantitative courses i have completed. anything i can do in the next year and a half (i am thinking of a gap year) to remedy this?

any and all advice appreciated

thanks
Original post by takasar
i'm in my 3rd year (abroad) of a 4 year international management degree. seeing as i plan/hope to work in the finance sector, i have to complete a masters and i am hoping to apply to LSE.

i would just like to ask if anybody has taken and/or is currently studying in the two-year economics masters program or the MSC in finance. all they're asking for is a first and 2-1 respectively, in a related field/subject, with a proven aptitude in maths (excluding your GRE quantitative score) . i'm on track for a first next year but the maths in my course is quite limited. introduction to econometrics, corporate finance and financial accounting are the only quantitative courses i have completed. anything i can do in the next year and a half (i am thinking of a gap year) to remedy this?

any and all advice appreciated

thanks

From the top of my head, I can think:

- Take on a PostGrad Dip. in Mathematics - I think the University of London does on (UoL is the category for all London universities like LSE, UCL, etc.). It's a self-taught course though!

"The programme is suitable for graduates of any discipline who, for professional or personal reasons, wish to secure a stand-alone qualification in mathematics. It is also ideal for those who wish to undertake postgraduate work and whose first degree is in an unrelated field. It aims to provide you with a broad introduction to the techniques and subject matter of pure mathematics. As well as acquiring further skills in the techniques of calculus, linear algebra and other areas, it will prepare you for further courses in mathematics and/or related disciplines (e.g., economics, actuarial science)."

http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/courses/diploma-graduates/lse/diploma-graduates-mathematics

I think it demands a certain dexterity in Mathematics to begin with, so I definitely suggest you crack out the A-level syllabus and some first year Mathematics textbooks and start getting a grasp of the subject:

"Although not a formal entrance requirement, it is your responsiblity to ensure that before you start this programme your Mathematics is already at least at the standard of a first year undergraduate degree in Mathematics and includes multivariate calculus."

------

Just found that they also have a PostGrad diploma in Economics http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/courses/diploma-graduates/lse/diploma-graduates-economics#overview - Although it may not be as mathematical.
(edited 8 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by High Stakes

- Take on a PostGrad Dip. in Mathematics - I think the University of London does on (UoL is the category for all London universities like LSE, UCL, etc.). It's a self-taught course though!

"The programme is suitable for graduates of any discipline who, for professional or personal reasons, wish to secure a stand-alone qualification in mathematics. It is also ideal for those who wish to undertake postgraduate work and whose first degree is in an unrelated field. It aims to provide you with a broad introduction to the techniques and subject matter of pure mathematics. As well as acquiring further skills in the techniques of calculus, linear algebra and other areas, it will prepare you for further courses in mathematics and/or related disciplines (e.g., economics, actuarial science)."

http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/courses/diploma-graduates/lse/diploma-graduates-mathematics

I think it demands a certain dexterity in Mathematics to begin with, so I definitely suggest you crack out the A-level syllabus and some first year Mathematics textbooks and start getting a grasp of the subject:

"Although not a formal entrance requirement, it is your responsiblity to ensure that before you start this programme your Mathematics is already at least at the standard of a first year undergraduate degree in Mathematics and includes multivariate calculus."

------

Just found that they also have a PostGrad diploma in Economics http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/courses/diploma-graduates/lse/diploma-graduates-economics#overview - Although it may not be as mathematical.

ah, thank you for the information. i was looking for what i may need to improve/prove my math chops, great help. currently my PC is having a bit of difficulty changing tabs (structure-fees, etc.) so i can't yet access it but ill try again tomorrow. thanks again.
Reply 3
Original post by High Stakes

------

ok, i've finally been able to access the links (using chrome) and its only just become apparent that this is only applicable towards graduate students. i was actually hoping to be able to complete this during my final year of study, so that i would, at most, have only a single gap year. just wondering if you have any experience with this diploma and whether the rules are flexible enough to allow me to take the diploma during my final year as an undergraduate

thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending