The Student Room Group

Clearing and Insurance offer?

Basically, I chose my firm offer, and I've put down an insurance offer. But I've realised that I really want to go to my firm offer.
If I don't get the grades for my first offer, but I get the grades for my insurance offer, will I be able to go for clearing for my first offer? or shall I just contact ucas and drop my insurance offer?
Original post by ShonaLeighPope
Basically, I chose my firm offer, and I've put down an insurance offer. But I've realised that I really want to go to my firm offer.
If I don't get the grades for my first offer, but I get the grades for my insurance offer, will I be able to go for clearing for my first offer? or shall I just contact ucas and drop my insurance offer?

If you made your choices within the last 7 days then contact UCAS and drop your insurance (it's better to have no Insurance than an insurance you don't want to go to).

If it has been over 7 days then contact your insurance university and explain that you wouldn't want to take a place there if your firm rejects you. If they agree then they should be able to cancel your insurance agreement with UCAS on your behalf.
Original post by PQ
If you made your choices within the last 7 days then contact UCAS and drop your insurance (it's better to have no Insurance than an insurance you don't want to go to).

If it has been over 7 days then contact your insurance university and explain that you wouldn't want to take a place there if your firm rejects you. If they agree then they should be able to cancel your insurance agreement with UCAS on your behalf.

Yeah I'll give ucas a ring later then. Thank you!
Reply 3
Hi.

I'm having a similar problem. Do you know if you can reject an insurance offer on Results Day?
Original post by SamDM123
Hi.

I'm having a similar problem. Do you know if you can reject an insurance offer on Results Day?

Well technically, yes. No one is going to force you to go to a university at any point in the process, circumstances change for a lot of people, and quite a few decide not to go at all late in the process (to do gap years etc. instead). If you know you don't want to go though, you're much better off telling them sooner as it opens up the place for another applicant.
Reply 5
Original post by Charlotte49
Well technically, yes. No one is going to force you to go to a university at any point in the process, circumstances change for a lot of people, and quite a few decide not to go at all late in the process (to do gap years etc. instead). If you know you don't want to go though, you're much better off telling them sooner as it opens up the place for another applicant.

I think I will still apply with the insurance offer as I'm not yet sure if I'm happy with my back-up.
Thanks for the reply :smile:
Original post by SamDM123
I think I will still apply with the insurance offer as I'm not yet sure if I'm happy with my back-up.
Thanks for the reply :smile:

If you decide you don't want to go to your insurance AND you want to go somewhere else instead in this application cycle then you can't reject your insurance place and enter clearing. The option open to you without cooperation from your insurance university is to withdraw from UCAS altogether for 2016 entry.

If you want to go elsewhere in 2016 then you have to ASK your insurance choice to place you into Clearing. If your insurance university agrees then it can take anything from 6 hours to 2 weeks to be placed into clearing (a period of time that can mean the places you're interested in are gone).

If you have doubts about your insurance choice then it is better to talk to them sooner rather than later (after mid July then you're likely to be told they can't do anything until results day).
"If I don't get the grades for my first offer, but I get the grades for my insurance offer, will I be able to go for clearing for my first offer? or shall I just contact ucas and drop my insurance offer?"

There would be no point in contacting the university that you originally firmed in clearing if they have already rejected you. If you miss your grades they may still accept you, but if they decide not to accept you they will be looking for students with higher grades in clearing.
Reply 8
Phone UCAS, tell them you want to swap, they'll put a note on your account that you want to make changes and tell you to contact your two choices

Ring whichever you want to based on what you decide to do - I managed to swap my choices around yesterday and got the email from UCAS confirming it this morning, so whatever you choose to do it should be okay, especially since it's not past the first deadline yet!

Just bear in mind they all might be a bit busy today since the deadline is so close 😜
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending