The Student Room Group
Craiglockhart Campus
Edinburgh Napier University

Napier's Reputation (personal experience)

I'm not looking to put anyone off this University, I am just looking to share my opinion. I joined Napier because they boasted of a cheap course (compared to other UK universities) and their MSc computer security courses are GCHQ certified. Sounds good, right? That's what I thought.

Unfortunately, much of the material is old and out dated. The lecturers haven't actually worked in industry and will argue the toss about things when you know you are 100% correct. People are complaining about the course and we (students) simply get ignored.

I began to look at other posts on this forum about Napier and I found a post here saying that Napier had a reputation for being very disorganised and sadly, for the most part, it has been true. Study guides for exams aren't released on time, exam results took around 6 weeks to get back, we've had a few people leave and a few more want to leave. It's all quite disheartening. My BSc wasn't like this at all (was done at a different university).

Is this the same with many of Napier's courses? Or is the computing just a bad egg?
Reply 1
I'm an undergraduate (just finished 3rd year) at Napier and I have to say it was not the most enjoyable year. I was a direct entry from college so I was really excited to start on bigger projects. Throughout the year we were given very little actual tutor support in many of the modules which I felt definitely impacted on my results and my motivation. Don't get me wrong there were some modules which were great and I scored really high on but there is no constancy between them all. I felt as though some lecturers let their own personal opinion of a project effect a grade rather than actual technical skill and the over all quality of work. I'm still not sure if I would recommend someone to study here, I guess I'll have to see what fourth year brings! Fingers crossed!
Craiglockhart Campus
Edinburgh Napier University
I can only go by my own personal experience but I’ll sum it up very briefly.Cleeky lecturers, poor support and just a online portfolio base that’s just flat out broken and all over the place.So yeah, wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone. Don’t know anybody who’s said one good about the place, including a few of my friends I had been at college with and had came with me either on the same course or on different courses

Quick Reply

Latest