The Student Room Group

Learning a language 15 minutes per day

Hi Everyone

I have set myself the goal of reaching upper intermediate fluency in Norwegian by next June (14 months).

I plan to study a few hours a day starting from October. Unfortunately, until October (5 months away) I am unable to commit a large amount of time. I estimate 15 minutes a day is the most I could continuously put towards learning Norwegian.

My question is, how could I best spend 15 minutes a day to ultimately reach my goal of reaching B2 by next June?

Also, please feel free to share any Norwegian resources you recommend. :smile:
You definitely need more than 15 minutes. You may only have time for 15 minutes of textbook learning, but you can immerse yourself in Norwegian while you're not studying it, which makes you learn faster. You could:
*Put your phone in to Norwegian
*Listen to Norwegian podcasts and music while traveling
*Watch Norwegian TV/films in your study breaks
*Read Norwegian newspapers instead of English ones
*Talk to yourself in Norwegian while carrying out everyday tasks - ie say to yourself 'now I'm going to wash the dishes' in Norwegian
*Talk to native Norwegian speakers
*Learn vocab using flashcards on apps like Memrise while waiting for things like the bus or for the bath to fill with water.

Spend every spare minute learning it, and you'll get there.
Reply 2
Original post by lostintrnslation
You definitely need more than 15 minutes. You may only have time for 15 minutes of textbook learning, but you can immerse yourself in Norwegian while you're not studying it, which makes you learn faster. You could:
*Put your phone in to Norwegian
*Listen to Norwegian podcasts and music while traveling
*Watch Norwegian TV/films in your study breaks
*Read Norwegian newspapers instead of English ones
*Talk to yourself in Norwegian while carrying out everyday tasks - ie say to yourself 'now I'm going to wash the dishes' in Norwegian
*Talk to native Norwegian speakers
*Learn vocab using flashcards on apps like Memrise while waiting for things like the bus or for the bath to fill with water.

Spend every spare minute learning it, and you'll get there.

Thanks for your post. I intend to do all of this starting from October.

My real question rather was what is the most effective way to spend 15 minutes a day for the next 5 months before I can *really* start studying.

The idea I have so far is to listen to podcasts so that when I do start studying I will already be quite familiar with the sounds and rhythm of Norwegian.

I'm interested to see if anyone else has any ideas.
Original post by Kamja
Thanks for your post. I intend to do all of this starting from October.

My real question rather was what is the most effective way to spend 15 minutes a day for the next 5 months before I can *really* start studying.

The idea I have so far is to listen to podcasts so that when I do start studying I will already be quite familiar with the sounds and rhythm of Norwegian.

I'm interested to see if anyone else has any ideas.

My point was, that to really make any progress, you're going to need more than 15 minutes, so you're going to have to squeeze in time whenever you can.
Another thing to do would be to maybe start learning vocab using a website like duolingo or memrise (I'd recommend memrise).
You could try Duolingo. It's completely free, and fairly interactive. Plus, you can download it on to your smartphone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending