The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Applicant with Questions

Hi everyone, I recieved an offer for Biological sciences at Durham Uni.

I was just wondering whether the lectures are recorded so you can listen to them/ watch them in the room later while revising? I heard that some unis do this.

Also, are there any students here from Hilde Bede that commute to the science department? It seems such a long way to walk. Does it stress you out? I hate riding a bike so please dont suggest that:3
bump
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
bumpppp
Hi, I'm a second year biologist at Durham. Some lecturers do record (sound only), the majority don't. If you think this would be something that would help you, I'd advise getting your own dictaphone (I may be wrong but I think the library may have a few to rent out? Don't quote me on that!). I currently live about 4 minutes further out than Hilde Bede (Gilesgate, yay) and walk up regularly. It takes me about 25 minutes to walk to the bottom science site (I'm a slow walker, some of my housemates leave at quarter to and practically arrive on time), probably another 5/10 minutes to get to the biology department - you won't be up there much in first year, only for practicals and tutorials. If you find yourself getting stressed out there is a free bus that runs from town (about 10 mins from Hilde Bede) to the science site (I think its the 56? You show your campus card and get a free ticket with it). It's not too much of a trek once you get used to it :smile:
From experience, students tend to underestimate what's involved in extracting value from audio. Playing it back in real time, and transcribing info. is ridiculously time-consuming. I'd recommend really focusing and learning to do good notes from the outset.

Quick Reply

Latest