The Student Room Group

How much do halls consider 'general wear and tear'?

I've got a few marks on my uni room walls, mostly caused by scuffs, dirty fingerprints etc. They're not terrible, but against the bright white paint they're fairly noticeable and I'm worried about losing money at the end of the year.
Also, the headboard of my bed used to be nailed to the wall but has since come loose on one side and left a small hole. I don't remember when this happened, I think it was just a gradual thing.

I expect the uni takes some consideration into the fact there will be some general wear and tear in your room, but what's too much? Should I declare it to my halls (and dump myself in it) or assume it's ok (and risk a surprise fine at the end of the year)?
Original post by asdfghjkl1234567
I've got a few marks on my uni room walls, mostly caused by scuffs, dirty fingerprints etc. They're not terrible, but against the bright white paint they're fairly noticeable and I'm worried about losing money at the end of the year.
Also, the headboard of my bed used to be nailed to the wall but has since come loose on one side and left a small hole. I don't remember when this happened, I think it was just a gradual thing.

I expect the uni takes some consideration into the fact there will be some general wear and tear in your room, but what's too much? Should I declare it to my halls (and dump myself in it) or assume it's ok (and risk a surprise fine at the end of the year)?

Marks on the paint will probably be something you get charged for or you can go buy a tester pot and cover it up yourself. If the headboard came off on its own then I d call it wear and tear.
Be cautious about tester pots, though, if you don't know the exact paint they used. Even if it's white - one white may not be the same as another and it can end up looking worse if they're noticeably different. You could try just cleaning the smudges off with decorators wipes, though.
I cleaned dirty marks off my walls with a damp cloth, 99% of it came off fine

from what I've heard, most places will charge you for anything they possibly can

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending