The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Economics at Bristol

Hey,

I've got a joint honours offer for Economics + Politics Bsc and I've got a question for any current/ex students of Economics at Bristol about the difficulty of the maths in the Economics modules; would you say that not having done Further Maths or Economics at A-Level would put you at a disadvantage compared to the other students on the course? I've heard a lot about how the Maths content of the course at Bristol is amongst the hardest in the UK , and they even said on the open day that some joint honours students struggle with that side of the course.

Thanks!
Original post by faux pas
Hey,

I've got a joint honours offer for Economics + Politics Bsc and I've got a question for any current/ex students of Economics at Bristol about the difficulty of the maths in the Economics modules; would you say that not having done Further Maths or Economics at A-Level would put you at a disadvantage compared to the other students on the course? I've heard a lot about how the Maths content of the course at Bristol is amongst the hardest in the UK , and they even said on the open day that some joint honours students struggle with that side of the course.

Thanks!

Hey I want to do the same course next year at Bristol so badly, can I ask your GCSE, AS and predicted grades?? Thanks x
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by faux pas
Hey,

Thanks!

Original post by Beccaaaaaaaaa
Hey I want to do the same course next year at Bristol so badly, can I ask your GCSE, AS and predicted grades?? Thanks x

They will most likely (as other unis do), go through the maths content, but very quickly. As in, a topic that would be covered in a couple of weeks would be covered in a few hours.

Do you guys want my advice? Just buy the further maths books over the summer holiday and go through it at your own pace. You have like 2-3 months (depending on when Uni starts).
Reply 3
What a levels are you studying now?
Reply 4
Original post by Beccaaaaaaaaa

GCSE: 4 A*, 3A, 2B, 1 Dictinction
AS: AAA in Maths, English and History; B in General Studies, C in Religious Studies (Philosophy and Ethics)
Predicted: AAA in Maths, English and History
Reply 5
Original post by High Stakes
They will most likely (as other unis do), go through the maths content, but very quickly. As in, a topic that would be covered in a couple of weeks would be covered in a few hours.

Do you guys want my advice? Just buy the further maths books over the summer holiday and go through it at your own pace. You have like 2-3 months (depending on when Uni starts).

AS and A2 further maths? Or just AS? (I'm hoping you say just AS)
Original post by Shumaya
AS and A2 further maths? Or just AS? (I'm hoping you say just AS)

Lol Further Maths is different. You're forgetting you don't need the applied modules.

Just take out FP1, FP2 and if you have time (and are curious) take out FP3. 3 modules. As if you were doing an AS.

You could easily get away with FP1 and FP2 though.
Yo I'm a current economics student at Bristol, first year

You'll be totally fine with the maths here if you can smash the regular maths a level

I'd say taking S2 instead of M1 would be v helpful

In maths you learn more complex calculus- double integrals, partial/total differentiation, new type of differential equations etc. (Develops what u already done at a level)

Only new stuff are matrices and optimisation so could look them up over summer if u want

Statistics on the other hand is a bitch if you're doing straight econ/econ + finance, otherwise it's fine they treat you like you've never done it before

Don't underestimate it tho, 25% of our year failed the January maths exam....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending