The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Current Sussex student ready to answer your questions!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KayaRose
Hi there everyone!
I'm just finishing off my first year at Sussex. I would love to help you guys out by answering any questions you might have about the Uni!
ASK AWAY!!!

Hello what did you study And what was a typical timetable
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by KayaRose
Hi there everyone!
I'm just finishing off my first year at Sussex. I would love to help you guys out by answering any questions you might have about the Uni!
ASK AWAY!!!

Hi,

I'm taking up PG at the Uni this September and my younger brother will be there for his IYO. We could not find him an accommodation so far whereas mine is secured at the Lynchet Clove. Is it possible to make him stay with me until he gets a room to himself? We are ready to pay extra for the stay.
what's the difference between park village and park houses????
Are there many study spaces in campus? Is it competitive to find a quiet space during busy times like finals week?
I have been given an offer for marketing management to do a foundation year for business management and economic. However I'm not too sure on how much the foundation year will benefit me or if its a waste of time, could you outline the benefits and drawbacks briefly according to Sussex
Reply 145
Original post by Maxwelljdh
Are there many study spaces in campus? Is it competitive to find a quiet space during busy times like finals week?

Hi!
It can be hard to get a space in the library 9-5 during exam times. There are quite a few study spaces on campus though like cafes, computer rooms, seminar rooms etc. Your school building should also have a common room type set up which you can work in and is specific to students from your department.
Getting to the library before 9 should guarantee you a seat.
Reply 146
Original post by hamish Regan
what's the difference between park village and park houses????

Hi. Park village and park houses are quite similar but flats in park village don't have a communal eating area/ living room so you will have to eat in your room. Park houses are a bit closer to the centre of campus and generally have better bathroom/ kitchen facilities.
In either you will be living with around 10 people.
Reply 147
Original post by Abhi Thangamani
Hi,

I'm taking up PG at the Uni this September and my younger brother will be there for his IYO. We could not find him an accommodation so far whereas mine is secured at the Lynchet Clove. Is it possible to make him stay with me until he gets a room to himself? We are ready to pay extra for the stay.

Hi there. I am unsure of this. Your best bet would be to ring or email the university and ask :smile:
Reply 148
Original post by Shirleyannmar
Hello what did you study And what was a typical timetable

I have just finished Psychology undergrad. Timetable really varies on the year. In first year I had around 15 hours of tuition a week broken into lectures, seminars and labs however this then decreased in second and third year and the amount of independent study required increased quite dramatically. If you email your department they should be able to send you an example timetable for your course!
Reply 149
Original post by Renginpinar
I have been given an offer for marketing management to do a foundation year for business management and economic. However I'm not too sure on how much the foundation year will benefit me or if its a waste of time, could you outline the benefits and drawbacks briefly according to Sussex

Hi! Congratulations on your offer.
The foundation year is typically used to prepare students who maybe didn't do as well in their A levels and that need some further support before starting their undergraduate course. Obviously you need to factor in finances as it would be an extra year away from home with housing, food, transport and tuition costs.
If you really want to come to uni then by all means do the foundation year but I would look at other ways of boosting your grades that might cost less and then enter university as an undergraduate student year 1.
Hi, I am a first year Psychology student and I just wanted to find out if the Psychology lectures are attendance checked? As in first year they weren't (unless you took the psychology elective).
Original post by Winch24
Hi, I am a first year Psychology student and I just wanted to find out if the Psychology lectures are attendance checked? As in first year they weren't (unless you took the psychology elective).

I personally don't do Psychology but my flatmate does and she says that lectures aren't monitored.
Have any students who got a C in GCSE maths gotten into Psychology at Sussex?
Original post by King Boo
3rd year life scientist checking in here, quote me and add any questions you've got. I do biomedicine which is life science, so can speak for biology, genetics, biochemistry, ecology etc etc etc

Heyy there
I know is been a while, but I’m so glad that I found this post.
I have put Sussex as my insurance for the course -Bsc genetics for AAB
I just wanted to know if genetics is a very popular course there, (I’m an international student so I don’t have any idea about the popularity of this course in the uk)
And also what if I get ABB? Do you think Sussex will be lenient enough?
I’m seriously losing sleep over this. It would mean a lot if you could answer!!
@KayaRose how valuable are pathways? I really regret not doing a legal studies pathway.
I am currently a 1st year undergraduate business and management student who picked international business as my electives for the 1st year, however I'm not enjoying it as I'd expected and I think i should have done the legal studies pathway instead. I'm considering choosing law electives for next year. They seem really interesting. After studying business law in one of my core modules and seeing how fascinating law can be, i highly regret not choosing law instead of international business.

I think if i carry on with international business pathway and choose international business electives for next year, i will get a 2:1 rather than a first. I think because law/legal studies seems really interesting and because i think i can do better at those modules than international business, I should do that so that I can get a first and sacrifice the pathway. What are your thoughts? If only I could choose to restart my pathway but i don't think the business school will allow me to do that unless i redo a whole year just to attain the legal studies pathway.
Accommodation opinions? What’s the difference between Park Houses and Park Villges, and are they as dia as some people say or worth the money? :smile:
I'm planning on applying for 2020.So your answers will help me a lot :smile:

1) How did you find it?
2) I'm interested in studying Computer Science,did you hear anything interesting about this course?
3) How good is computer lab ?
3) How good is teaching methods ?
4) Is it easy to go Brighton from campus?
5) How is accommodation?
8) How good is social life,campus life,nightlife etc. ?
9) Any advice for studying abroad ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending