The Student Room Group

Store values while in exam?

I know you can't go into an exam with stored values like charge of an electron or whatever stored on your calculator (though you probably wouldn't be caught), but are you allowed to store values while in the exam and then just refer to those as "A" on the paper?

So for example when using the trapezium rule when integrating to find area between a line and the x axis I use my calculator to find the height of each trapezium, and write like, root 2 in the x/y table, and then draw an arrow to "A", then I'll have "3 root 3" with an arrow going to "B" etc.

Then when substituting into the formula I just write A and B (the way I would type it into my calculator) instead of writing out the full thing, is that allowed in the exam or would you lose marks?

...dunno if any of that made sense

Thanks,
Fred T.A
Original post by FredTA
I know you can't go into an exam with stored values like charge of an electron or whatever stored on your calculator (though you probably wouldn't be caught), but are you allowed to store values while in the exam and then just refer to those as "A" on the paper?

So for example when using the trapezium rule when integrating to find area between a line and the x axis I use my calculator to find the height of each trapezium, and write like, root 2 in the x/y table, and then draw an arrow to "A", then I'll have "3 root 3" with an arrow going to "B" etc.

Then when substituting into the formula I just write A and B (the way I would type it into my calculator) instead of writing out the full thing, is that allowed in the exam or would you lose marks?

...dunno if any of that made sense

Thanks,
Fred T.A

Ivbiously put down what A or B is in full, but I sugggest you talk to your teacher about whether you really need to write it out in full to get full marks. I cnat see why your shorthand method wouldnt work, its just whether the examiners accept it,.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending