The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

How lenient are the university of Sheffield with entry requirements?

Is there anyone who studies at Sheffield who managed to get a place with lower grades than the entry requirements? I have firmed sheffield for history and I have an offer for AAB but I think I will only achieve ABC/ABB.
Reply 1
anyone?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
anyone?
Reply 3
No idea, I went to Manchester and did not do history.
I got an unconditional offer for German with Dutch with BBC even though you need BBB.
I cant imagine its any different from any other Uni. It depends how well others do. If you dont make the grades then there is still a chance they will take you depending on spare places. Some people will get in with lower than the asking grades. Just do your best.and if you fall short be on the phone quickly. Know who you need to contact.
My friend (who has also firmed Sheffield) let me know that some professor told him that if you were to get an offer from Sheffield, it means they really do want you to study there. This means that they may lower your requirements by a couple grades if needed (for example AAB to BBB).

Obviously I would still aim for as high as possible just to make sure, but hopefully it'll ease the pressure a little bit.
Reply 7
I got into Sheffield (3 years ago now, jeeeez) with a conditional offer of either AAB or ABB I can't really remember, I think the latter, and got in with ABC :smile:
Original post by pizzanomics
I got an unconditional offer for German with Dutch with BBC even though you need BBB.

That's a good sign. I've applied for History and Russian and my offer is BBB+B in EPQ but I will most likely end up with BBC
Original post by Fleming1928
That's a good sign. I've applied for History and Russian and my offer is BBB+B in EPQ but I will most likely end up with BBC

Yeah, I was pretty pleased.

I said elsewhere, either on here or on Reddit that I reckon the only reason I got the offer was because I applied a bit late so they probably just wanted to fill bums on seats to get that sweet, sweet money off me - not that I'm complaining obviously, I want to go there. :biggrin:

Also I did my A levels last year, so BBC were my final grades. I was also at uni this year doing a different course and averaged at a low 2:1 in my semester 1 exams which probably helped too. Also I needed at least a B in German (obviously) which I did have, so that might have swung it too. If the C was for German then I don't think I would have been so lucky.

I don't know how popular your course is, but I'm pretty sure you'd be fine if you got one grade less than you need. Most people from my college last year got into their firm choice with one grade less than what they needed, myself included.
Original post by pizzanomics
Yeah, I was pretty pleased.

I said elsewhere, either on here or on Reddit that I reckon the only reason I got the offer was because I applied a bit late so they probably just wanted to fill bums on seats to get that sweet, sweet money off me - not that I'm complaining obviously, I want to go there. :biggrin:

Also I did my A levels last year, so BBC were my final grades. I was also at uni this year doing a different course and averaged at a low 2:1 in my semester 1 exams which probably helped too. Also I needed at least a B in German (obviously) which I did have, so that might have swung it too. If the C was for German then I don't think I would have been so lucky.

I don't know how popular your course is, but I'm pretty sure you'd be fine if you got one grade less than you need. Most people from my college last year got into their firm choice with one grade less than what they needed, myself included.

My course is still available in Ucas extra, and when I was looking at clearing last year out of curiosity, it was in clearing for the majority of the summer, so I'm guessing it's quite unpopular and there were many places still left to fill. I think that my C will be in Media, which I guess won't be that bad, I was quite pleased with my history exams this year so I'm quite confident that I'll get at least a B.

Yeah, my teachers always tell me not to worry because they always see students getting in with lower grades, but the majority of people in my school only apply to universities with very low entry requirements. Pretty much all of my classmates already have unconditionals, which I of course didn't expect to get from Sheffield.
Original post by Fleming1928
My course is still available in Ucas extra, and when I was looking at clearing last year out of curiosity, it was in clearing for the majority of the summer, so I'm guessing it's quite unpopular and there were many places still left to fill. I think that my C will be in Media, which I guess won't be that bad, I was quite pleased with my history exams this year so I'm quite confident that I'll get at least a B.

Yeah, my teachers always tell me not to worry because they always see students getting in with lower grades, but the majority of people in my school only apply to universities with very low entry requirements. Pretty much all of my classmates already have unconditionals, which I of course didn't expect to get from Sheffield.

I'm pretty sure you'll be alright then. Obviously don't get too complacent because nothing is for certain, plus it will have an affect on how you perform in your exams, but yeah I don't think you'll have too much to worry about. Yeah as long as you get the grades you need in the subject(s) that you'll be studying then that will look good.

Haha I think everyone gets that at college/sixth form though tbh. My teachers always told everyone not to worry but of course we did anyway. It's natural, especially when (depending on whether or not you've got post-uni dreams/plans) there can be a LOT riding on these results for some people. I went to a sixth form college so there were a lot of Oxbridge types (so many people applied - I think 7 got offers and 6 of them went in the end this year), but so many people applied for middle-tier universities as well who were (rightfully and understandably) pleased with their unconditional offers. Applying to university through UCAS is pretty much just a game.
Original post by Maker
No idea, I went to Manchester and did not do history.

what was the point of Ur reply then Lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending