The Student Room Group

Should I go to university in 2017 or take a gap year?

I'm currently in year 12 studying AS level chemistry, biology, English literature and health & social care (Btec). And I'd like to study primary education at university, however I've been considering taking a gap year so that I'm able to earn and save money, whilst also gaining some work experience and developing social skills.
I'm a little torn in deciding what to do, and I was wondering if any of you could offer some advice from your own experience, or just general guidance. Thanks
Original post by KatieJB
I'm currently in year 12 studying AS level chemistry, biology, English literature and health & social care (Btec). And I'd like to study primary education at university, however I've been considering taking a gap year so that I'm able to earn and save money, whilst also gaining some work experience and developing social skills.
I'm a little torn in deciding what to do, and I was wondering if any of you could offer some advice from your own experience, or just general guidance. Thanks

Hey!
I took a gap year after year 13 (so I'm a bit biased). I applied to uni and then deferred my entry. During my gap year I did some travelling and I also worked. It depends on what you want to apply for I guess. If you think your UCAS application is not strong for what you want to apply for then you can spend your gap year making your application stronger. It sounds like what you want to do in your gap year is feasible and sensible. I would personally recommend a gap year purely because I had one and I met lots of nice people, etc, etc but it did not add to my application.

If you purely just want to work to get some extra cash then my feeling is you can do a part time job during uni (I did that too). I guess you won't ear as much money working part time but its still something.
Another thing to factor in that you can feel a bit left out when all your friends are getting excited about first year of uni while you're not doing very much at home. If you'd like to take a gap year then it can be fun and exciting if you plan it well. If you don't it may be a whole year that you spend regretting.

Sorry I can't be of much more help, good luck! If you have any specific questions, ask away!

Quick Reply

Latest