The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Computer Science - Bath vs St Andrews

Hi All,

I need your suggestion on choosing between Bath vs St Andrews Computer Science. Could you please suggest based on the following parameters?

1. Teaching standards and Faculty
2. Career Prospects

Thanks in advance.
Original post by nitinalavala
Hi All,

I need your suggestion on choosing between Bath vs St Andrews Computer Science. Could you please suggest based on the following parameters?

2. Career Prospects

Thanks in advance.

All these stats are available from League Tables...

You could use Student Satisfaction to measure teaching standards (this is a debatable measure, but the best one I could come up with)
Teaching Standard: St Andrews' 4.71 vs Bath's 4.16 (student satisfaction)
Faculty: St Andrews' 2.99 vs Bath's 2.92 (research)
Career Prospects: St Andrews' 97% vs Bath's 85%

Using these metrics, it seems that St Andrews beats out Bath
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by Capricancer
All these stats are available from League Tables...

You could use Student Satisfaction to measure teaching standards (this is a debatable measure, but the best one I could come up with)
Teaching Standard: St Andrews' 4.71 vs Bath's 4.16 (student satisfaction)
Faculty: St Andrews' 2.99 vs Bath's 2.92 (research)
Career Prospects: St Andrews' 97% vs Bath's 85%

Using these metrics, it seems that St Andrews beats out Bath

Thanks a lot.
Original post by nitinalavala
Hi All,

2. Career Prospects

Thanks in advance.

Hi there!

I'm a first year Computer Science student at Bath - I can certainly aim to help you with any questions you may have about Computer Science at Bath. Sadly I personally can't comment on St Andrews as I have no knowledge it. I can however tell you a little about Bath.

Bath Uni is a relatively small campus uni. This means that it's like a mini town all on one site! We have a Co-Op style shop, a couple of banks, coffee shops, a library, sports faculties, a nightclub, and much more, all in one place. In your first year, you will probably also be living on campus, which will be about a 5 minute walk to anything you need on campus. There are many other campus universities but there are also many city universities, where all the building are spread over the city. This is a very important thing to think about. Being on a campus can be great - it is pretty busy and has a good atmosphere. You will be surrounded by other students and gives quite a community feel. However, some people do find it can be a bit claustrophobic, but a trip into town is just a 10 minute bus journey away!

The city of Bath it's self is very beautiful and is pretty touristy. This does mean it is relatively expensive, but the architecture and history is one of the best in the country.

Bath uni also has a large number of sports clubs and societies with fantastic sports facilities, if this is something you are interested in. The first year accommodation is typical student accommodation which will be comparable to every other university. Personally I wouldn't make your decision based on this.

I've certainly enjoyed the course so far. It's been much more varied than I had anticipated, which is a bonus. I did Computing A level which was what sparked my interest in the subject and so far it has consisted of some extension of A level knowledge, as well as new content.

I can comment on some of the modules I've done/am doing at the moment:

Spoiler

You can find out more here: http://www.bath.ac.uk/catalogues/201...oglist-ug.html

There is coursework of some kind in every unit ranging from programming tasks to essays to group projects. I like the variety.

I found the first maths unit (CM10196) quite abstract and difficult to understand the later content at first but got the hang of it soon enough! CM10251 is a year long module and was interesting to discover the different methods of designing software. Personally, the programming modules have been most interesting as they have introduced us to C and Java development in quite a head-first practical way which has meant people are all at more or less the same level by Christmas.

Hope this helps!

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me!

Chris
Reply 4
Thanks a lot Chris.

Quick Reply

Latest