The Student Room Group

S1 Maths - Struggling for time during exam papers!!! HELP

The statistic paper (S1) seems very long winded to me and it just seems like I never have enough time to complete past papers in the recommended time as so much time is spent typing things into my calculator :frown: e.g. E(X) and E(X^2) calculations take me ages to write down on paper then type it all onto my calculator!! Any advice for the S1 unit would be really appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Philip-flop
The statistic paper (S1) seems very long winded to me and it just seems like I never have enough time to complete past papers in the recommended time as so much time is spent typing things into my calculator :frown: e.g. E(X) and E(X^2) calculations take me ages to write down on paper then type it all onto my calculator!! Any advice for the S1 unit would be really appreciated :smile:

Focus on the questions that you are most confident on first and then afterwards go on to other questions that you struggle with so that you bank the most marks. I find that practicing the questions that take ages also helps such as the PMCC questions where it is only usually four marks but it takes at least six minutes.
Original post by nem11
Focus on the questions that you are most confident on first and then afterwards go on to other questions that you struggle with so that you bank the most marks. I find that practicing the questions that take ages also helps such as the PMCC questions where it is only usually four marks but it takes at least six minutes.

Yeah that sounds like I pretty good 'game-plan' tbh!!
What is PMCC?
Reply 3
PMCC stands for product moment correlation coefficient. I am doing OCR A-level maths so it might not be on your specification if you are doing maths with another exam board.
Stats is usually a very time-comfortable exam if your exam technique is good. Generally, for any sort of maths paper, rewriting the question can lose you time and will earn you no credit. For example if you're given in a cubic equation, no need to write it out.

Similarly for stats, if there's a long-winded question on binomial, extract the relevant information straight away in the form X~B(n,p) and work with that accordingly.

If that isn't part of your problem, then I think you need to practice your algebraic manipulation considering E(X), E(X^2) and Var(X) calculations are relatively straight forward and shouldn't take too long to complete. Perhaps if you give an example of a question that would take you a long time to answer, we can see where your problem is at?
Original post by nem11
PMCC stands for product moment correlation coefficient. I am doing OCR A-level maths so it might not be on your specification if you are doing maths with another exam board.

Yeah, Product Moment Correlation Efficient is part of the syllabus for my exam board too (Edexcel)

Original post by Faisalshamallakh
Stats is usually a very time-comfortable exam if your exam technique is good. Generally, for any sort of maths paper, rewriting the question can lose you time and will earn you no credit. For example if you're given in a cubic equation, no need to write it out.

Similarly for stats, if there's a long-winded question on binomial, extract the relevant information straight away in the form X~B(n,p) and work with that accordingly.

If that isn't part of your problem, then I think you need to practice your algebraic manipulation considering E(X), E(X^2) and Var(X) calculations are relatively straight forward and shouldn't take too long to complete. Perhaps if you give an example of a question that would take you a long time to answer, we can see where your problem is at?

Here is an example of a question I did today (S1 - Jan 2010 Q5)...
Jan2010 Q5.png
And my answers to the question...
Attachment not found
Reply 6
I hate to say what everyone always say, but PRACTICE. You need to be able to do questions automatically and not think through every step by building up your confidence.

I found linear interpolation took me far to long to do. I practiced it and practiced it and could do it significantly more quickly - so I'd recommend doing that.

Quick Reply

Latest