Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Can I get into a good, reputable university with what I'm studying?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm currently taking the following in my first year of college.

BTEC Level 3 Diploma in IT
    A/AS level Computing
    A/AS Level Electronics

After looking at uni websites it seems like no matter what grades I get in these subjects no good university will give me an offer without maths. Are there exceptions or ways around this or will I have to reconsider my options?

Thanks for any help.

There are lots - try Nottingham University, I believe they don't require A-level Maths.

Would two BTEC distinction stars and an A count as AAA?

D*D* = A*A*
    DD = AA
    And so on...

There are loads of good universities that do not require maths, i assume you are looking to do Computer Science?

Peolple from my BTEC class got into: Southampton, Manchester, Surrey, Bath, Royal Holloway, Cardiff, Kings College London and some others i cant remember, southampton and manchester required Maths for CompSci but not IT. This also applies to UCL they dont require maths for their IT degree, however i would still recommend doing Computer Science

I am in my second year at Royal Holloway atm (ranked 19th overall, Times HE) and they require Distinction/Distinction + B to study Computer Science where the diploma is in IT and/or the A level is in either Maths, Physics or Computing - maybe have a look?

Hope this helps

If you have a particular University in mind, then I highly suggest you contact them immediately to find out if they would accept you in the relevant course with your A-level choices. Many Unis may state that they want Maths at Alevels, but it is more desired then essential.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.