The Student Room Group

Can I get into a good, reputable university with what I'm studying?

I'm currently taking the following in my first year of college.

BTEC Level 3 Diploma in IT
A/AS level Computing
A/AS Level Electronics

After looking at uni websites it seems like no matter what grades I get in these subjects no good university will give me an offer without maths. Are there exceptions or ways around this or will I have to reconsider my options?

Thanks for any help.
There are lots - try Nottingham University, I believe they don't require A-level Maths.
Reply 2
Would two BTEC distinction stars and an A count as AAA?
Reply 3
D*D* = A*A*
D*D=A*A
DD = AA
DM=AC
And so on...

There are loads of good universities that do not require maths, i assume you are looking to do Computer Science?

Peolple from my BTEC class got into: Southampton, Manchester, Surrey, Bath, Royal Holloway, Cardiff, Kings College London and some others i cant remember, southampton and manchester required Maths for CompSci but not IT. This also applies to UCL they dont require maths for their IT degree, however i would still recommend doing Computer Science

I am in my second year at Royal Holloway atm (ranked 19th overall, Times HE) and they require Distinction/Distinction + B to study Computer Science where the diploma is in IT and/or the A level is in either Maths, Physics or Computing - maybe have a look?

Hope this helps
Reply 4
If you have a particular University in mind, then I highly suggest you contact them immediately to find out if they would accept you in the relevant course with your A-level choices. Many Unis may state that they want Maths at Alevels, but it is more desired then essential.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending