The Student Room Group

Upcoming test - look for tips, advice etc!

Hey all

New member here!

My second driving test is booked for just under 2 weeks time, my first test was around 5 years ago. I failed on a couple of stupid mistakes, at the time I'd done maybe 40 hours tuition with an ADI. No private driving.

Fast forward 5 year and I make the decision to start driving lessons again with another ADI, due to my original instructor having very limited availability. I re-started my lessons at the beginning of this year and not long after starting, I purchased my own car which I get out in several times a week with my partner supervising.

I have recently completed a 180 mile round trip in one day out to the coast and back in my own car and was informed by my partner I drove great (she's got to be biased, obviously!).

A couple of weeks ago I took a mock test with my instructor and passed with 3 minors (not indicating when moving off). I have another mock test tonight.

I'm pretty confident with my ability to drive, I also this week drove to a ridiculously busy event locally which meant dealing with barely any parking spaces ... lots of traffic ... emergency services everywhere and again found it to be a fairly simple task.

To cut a long story short, I'm looking for tips / advice on how to manage my nerves to ensure they don't get the better of me on the day. Any cool stories about test dates etc too as I'm a little bit anxious now with the date looming.

Regards!
My partner's grandfather is a retired driving instructor and he recommends taking one aspirin a couple of hours prior to the test to settle your nerves (if suitable). Other's advise chewing gum to relax during the test. Trial and error i'm afraid. Best wishes.
Original post by SneakyPenguin
My partner's grandfather is a retired driving instructor and he recommends taking one aspirin a couple of hours prior to the test to settle your nerves (if suitable). Other's advise chewing gum to relax during the test. Trial and error i'm afraid. Best wishes.

Chewing gum whilst on the test? x'D probably might spit it on the examiners face by accient, risky, don't wanna fail for that.
Visualization, imagine yourself meeting the examiner, answering all show and tell questions, imagine reading the license plate, imagine yourself in the car what you would do as you drive down the road of the test centre if he tells you to go left or right what you would do, if you've been to the test centre before with your instructor you will know how it is around there a width restriction imagine going through it how you will place the car what gear you will be in how you will be making your observations, mirror signal maneuver how you will control the car so it is smooth.

Above all just smile and you won't believe this but if you imagine every scenario in your mind and put all you have learnt into some vision a couple of hours before your test, as your imagine it all beforehand, it can be so powerful, you become confident and so amazingly in control, keep smiling you will remain calm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending