The Student Room Group

Sevenoaks sixth form entrance exam

Hi! I'm thinking of applying to Sevenoaks' sixth form but it's quite hard to get in, so I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips for preparation. Also, idk if it's because of corona but they've changed the exam structure, so I don't really know how to prepare. Any suggestions for books to read or material to look at and also how the interview is like and maybe what they're looking for would be really useful. Thank you so much! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by BM656
Hi! I'm thinking of applying to Sevenoaks' sixth form but it's really hard to get in, so I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips for preparation. Also, idk if it's because of corona but they've changed the exam structure, so I don't really know how to prepare. Any suggestions for books to read or material to look at and also how the interview is like and maybe what they're looking for would be really useful. Thank you so much! :smile:

Heyy im applying for sevenoaks sixth form soon as well, so how did u find the exam? was it hard, and how did u prepare for itt
Reply 2
Original post by blue24
Heyy im applying for sevenoaks sixth form soon as well, so how did u find the exam? was it hard, and how did u prepare for itt

Hii! Firstly, I just wanted to say that I'm not sure if your exam format or way your tests are will be the same as my year's (we sat them irl & were the first year w a new exam format), so just take everything I say w a pinch of salt.
Okk, so to be completely honest with u, I really didn't prepare a lot - I knew the basics of my GCSE courses and that's something i'd say u should definitely be familiar with but really don't stress out about it. I mean, there's nothing wrong with overpreparing, in fact I think that I didn't prepare nearly as much as everyone else did but I ended up doing fine so do with that what u will. Tbh, when I was looking for info on TSR, I found basically nothing which wasn't great, so i j looked at their website and took the info on the tests from there.
I'd mainly say to familiarise yourself with all of the GCSE content you've studied so far in the subjects you'll be tested on, do some reading around them too (not necessary but always good to show you're interested beyond the curriculum-j be curious) and go for it! In terms of the actual exam, i actually came out thinking that i'd done rlly badly and then ended up having done v well but I'm a terrible judge of exams sooo...
The interview was in a group and was rlly relaxed - be yourself and try to contribute when u want to/can (idk how much the interview counts but probs not that much). It was j about your general thinking.
Side note: ik i said to j have a solid knowledge of ur GCSE course content, but also know that sometimes they'll j ask u qns on rlly random things and u have to either apply knowledge or take a sensible guess - anyone can memorise the whole syllabus, so they're looking for more than that!
Phew, ok there's probably so much more but i really hope that's helped. U can PM if u want to talk abt it more but again, when i was applying i couldn't find anything so i hope that this helps even a bit!
GOOD LUCK! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by BM656
Hii! Firstly, I just wanted to say that I'm not sure if your exam format or way your tests are will be the same as my year's (we sat them irl & were the first year w a new exam format), so just take everything I say w a pinch of salt.
Okk, so to be completely honest with u, I really didn't prepare a lot - I knew the basics of my GCSE courses and that's something i'd say u should definitely be familiar with but really don't stress out about it. I mean, there's nothing wrong with overpreparing, in fact I think that I didn't prepare nearly as much as everyone else did but I ended up doing fine so do with that what u will. Tbh, when I was looking for info on TSR, I found basically nothing which wasn't great, so i j looked at their website and took the info on the tests from there.
I'd mainly say to familiarise yourself with all of the GCSE content you've studied so far in the subjects you'll be tested on, do some reading around them too (not necessary but always good to show you're interested beyond the curriculum-j be curious) and go for it! In terms of the actual exam, i actually came out thinking that i'd done rlly badly and then ended up having done v well but I'm a terrible judge of exams sooo...
The interview was in a group and was rlly relaxed - be yourself and try to contribute when u want to/can (idk how much the interview counts but probs not that much). It was j about your general thinking.
Side note: ik i said to j have a solid knowledge of ur GCSE course content, but also know that sometimes they'll j ask u qns on rlly random things and u have to either apply knowledge or take a sensible guess - anyone can memorise the whole syllabus, so they're looking for more than that!
Phew, ok there's probably so much more but i really hope that's helped. U can PM if u want to talk abt it more but again, when i was applying i couldn't find anything so i hope that this helps even a bit!
GOOD LUCK! :smile:

HII THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this with me, I didn’t take any GCSE exams because I attend IB school my whole life so I will probably ask some of my friends who took the GCSE exam for some notes and papers :smile:) but this is very helpful thank youu
Reply 4
Heyy, do you mind telling me the topics that you guys talked about during the group interview? And how did u prepare for it
Reply 5
im applying for sevenoaks sixth form september 2023 entry, so I have my sevenoaks exams this upcoming October, if anyone has any additional advice on what I should do over this summer to prepare for the exams and interview as well as how difficult they are, please lmk
Reply 6
Original post by aok47
im applying for sevenoaks sixth form september 2023 entry, so I have my sevenoaks exams this upcoming October, if anyone has any additional advice on what I should do over this summer to prepare for the exams and interview as well as how difficult they are, please lmk

Hiii did you get in ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending