The Student Room Group

Do Russel group Unis care if students retake year 12

I really want to study economics at uni but i feel like my AS grades are going to be very poor my exams all have gone horribly bad and im thinking of retaking to get AAAA for AS and A*A*A* im going to work during the summer to make this happen.So are retake students at a disadvantage and do university care
Original post by Laura887
I really want to study economics at uni but i feel like my AS grades are going to be very poor my exams all have gone horribly bad and im thinking of retaking to get AAAA for AS and A*A*A* im going to work during the summer to make this happen.So are retake students at a disadvantage and do university care

Some universities will require that you get your grades over 2 years of study only.

Generally resitting Yr12 is more appealing that failing your A levels and resitting Yr 13.

I'd suggest you wait and see how you do in your AS exams and speak to your teachers about how your A level predictions will be made. If you can show improvements this Autumn then with good predictions and a determination to improve to get A*A*A* then you wouldn't need to resit Yr12.

Focus on getting through your AS exams and doing your best. Once they're done start researching over the summer which universities specifically you want to apply to and what they're looking for and get ahead of yourself for the move to Yr13 - and speak to your teachers to let them know what you're aiming for (and demonstrate that you're determined).

A lot of Russell Group universities are likely to be open in Clearing each year for Economics - especially for someone with excellent grades - so even if you don't get an offer on your initial application there are opportunities to find a place throughout Yr13 and if you can get A*A*A* without a resit year then you can always take a gap year post-A levels and apply with your grades in the bag.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Some universities will require that you get your grades over 2 years of study only.

Generally resitting Yr12 is more appealing that failing your A levels and resitting Yr 13.

I'd suggest you wait and see how you do in your AS exams and speak to your teachers about how your A level predictions will be made. If you can show improvements this Autumn then with good predictions and a determination to improve to get A*A*A* then you wouldn't need to resit Yr12.

Focus on getting through your AS exams and doing your best. Once they're done start researching over the summer which universities specifically you want to apply to and what they're looking for and get ahead of yourself for the move to Yr13 - and speak to your teachers to let them know what you're aiming for (and demonstrate that you're determined).

A lot of Russell Group universities are likely to be open in Clearing each year for Economics - especially for someone with excellent grades - so even if you don't get an offer on your initial application there are opportunities to find a place throughout Yr13 and if you can get A*A*A* without a resit year then you can always take a gap year post-A levels and apply with your grades in the bag.

Yes you are so right i am going to aim to pass everything and show my determination to my teachers im going to try my best thank you for the advice.
But is it still possibe for me to get in UCL or LSE or Brunel or City London if i resit
Have a look on their websites (for example https://lfylive.lse.ac.uk/lfy/tc/enquiries/enquiry.html?a=4&q=1269&searchString= says it would be a no for LSE). If you can't find anything then email them or ring them up in the summer and ask about their policy for students resitting Yr12 (sometimes this will be different to their policy for people resitting Yr13 but usually only if you're changing your A level subject choices as well as repeating the year)
Mostly, they shouldn't care, but like PQ said they often want grades over the course of two years. I retook my AS year with three different subjects and continued with one and got offers from Durham, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, and Newcastle (all Russel Group). My only advice would be to make your goals realistic because it's inadvisable to restart twice and you're only human, all A's and A*'s would be nice, but it's likely that your teachers will slightly overpredict your expected grades if it helps you get an offer, and universities will be slightly lenient if they have to be- bulk up your personal statement and really sell yourself, and in your retake year I'd advise coming to terms with the fact that you're not always going to get the best results in everything because learning to take results with a pinch of salt is part of the A level learning experience. Good luck :smile:
if they do im not going :frown:
Reply 6
I go to Sheffield and I lived in the flat next to a girl who retook year 12 to get her grades and one of my best friends from home retook his year 13 and got into a really good course at Newcastle.

Just email them. Yeah UCL and LSE will probably be a loooot stricter, but there are other russel groups, that are perhaps as good AND will be cheaper to live there! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending