The Student Room Group

depression

My boyfriend has the early stage of depression, he said how he feels empty and has to really try and see the beauty in things as well as it's been like this for a long time. How do I support him?

Scroll to see replies

Tell him to speak to someone about these feelings or tell him to try writing things down in a diary so if it does start to get bad he can pin point the triggers. This might be a ridiculous suggestion but you should try and take him to the beach, heritage sites, country walks. It doesn't work for everyone but small things which show the worlds beauty and remind us all that life is good we all need that sometimes.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Tell him to speak to someone about these feelings or tell him to try writing things down in a diary so if it does start to get bad he can pin point the triggers. This might be a ridiculous suggestion but you should try and take him to the beach, heritage sites, country walks. It doesn't work for everyone but small things which show the worlds beauty and remind us all that life is good we all need that sometimes.

I did , we went up north near York and wondered around. But not as much as we were suppose to because of time. But, I guess it wasn't rural enough for him.
My boyfriend has the early stage of depression, he said how he feels empty and has to really try and see the beauty in things as well as it's been like this for a long time. How do I support him?

I have worked through depression for a long time and it wasn't easy. Just tell him that you are there for when he wants to talk. He will come to you when he is ready to seek help. Sometimes the hardest part of depression is admitting that you need help or need to talk to someone. As long as he knows you are there for him. If he tells you he is going to seek help, let him know in a gentle way that if he wants you there, that you will be, or that if it's something he feels he needs to do alone, you're there for when he is ready. Maybe even find a forum for mental health issues to talk to like minded people, share stories on what has helped them through it. Don't rush him about it. I know where your concern comes from, and I completely understand it.
Offer to take him out for a walk, or watching DVD's with some snacky food, maybe even go and do something you haven't done for a while, possibly bowling or if he is into gaming, maybe a gaming evening. Something you would both enjoy together.

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by KLouSmart
I have worked through depression for a long time and it wasn't easy. Just tell him that you are there for when he wants to talk. He will come to you when he is ready to seek help. Sometimes the hardest part of depression is admitting that you need help or need to talk to someone. As long as he knows you are there for him. If he tells you he is going to seek help, let him know in a gentle way that if he wants you there, that you will be, or that if it's something he feels he needs to do alone, you're there for when he is ready. Maybe even find a forum for mental health issues to talk to like minded people, share stories on what has helped them through it. Don't rush him about it. I know where your concern comes from, and I completely understand it.
Offer to take him out for a walk, or watching DVD's with some snacky food, maybe even go and do something you haven't done for a while, possibly bowling or if he is into gaming, maybe a gaming evening. Something you would both enjoy together.

I hope this helps :smile:

Thank you, but is he okay to find escapes ? For example, he has been doing some he just feels like he's not himself through disappointment and the weight of others issues on his own shoulders.
Thank you, but is he okay to find escapes ? For example, he has been doing some he just feels like he's not himself through disappointment and the weight of others issues on his own shoulders.

Of course he can have escapes, as long as they are healthy. I don't mean that in a bad way, for example some people drink to escape, and that isn't a good way to cope, it can make it worse. Expressive forms of escape can be good, such as art/artwork, even martial arts are great, I started kickboxing and it did wonders for me. I would just make sure that he isn't always on his own. You can tell him he isn't a weight on anyones shoulders, if he is anything like I was, I didn't believe it when I was told it. Just remember that this will take time. :smile:
I did , we went up north near York and wondered around. But not as much as we were suppose to because of time. But, I guess it wasn't rural enough for him.

There is no sudden cure but York is nice keep taking him out and doing nice things to take his mind of things and just show him how much you love him and care
Reply 7
There is no sudden cure but York is nice keep taking him out and doing nice things to take his mind of things and just show him how much you love him and care

I will try to do that. Unfortunately I've been more naggy lately so , that didn't help :frown:
I will try to do that. Unfortunately I've been more naggy lately so , that didn't help :frown:

I can get difficult for loved ones to watch and go through, so just remember to take some time for you, so that it doesn't become too much for you. :smile:
Reply 9
Of course he can have escapes, as long as they are healthy. I don't mean that in a bad way, for example some people drink to escape, and that isn't a good way to cope, it can make it worse. Expressive forms of escape can be good, such as art/artwork, even martial arts are great, I started kickboxing and it did wonders for me. I would just make sure that he isn't always on his own. You can tell him he isn't a weight on anyones shoulders, if he is anything like I was, I didn't believe it when I was told it. Just remember that this will take time. :smile:

Yeah, I'm grateful that he's more into gym and stuff but he still feels like his body is failing him in one way.. But, i'll keep your advice in mind. Thank you
Has he been to see his GP and get some antidepressants?
I can get difficult for loved ones to watch and go through, so just remember to take some time for you, so that it doesn't become too much for you. :smile:

Yeah, I will. Just i've been putting more weight on the negative things when he's trying to sort himself out, so they are not as important. I guess, I have been more selfish recently
Original post by RachaelBee

I would agree with the GP appointment, when he is ready, however about the anti-depressants, sometimes the thought of going onto tablets can be scary and make someone take a step back. I was on tablets but they didn't do anything for me. I'm not saying they don't work, they just didn't work for me. I would ease him into the idea of tablets and tell him the doctor may suggest them, so that he isn't thrown by the idea. :smile:
Yeah, I will. Just i've been putting more weight on the negative things when he's trying to sort himself out, so they are not as important. I guess, I have been more selfish recently

Being selfish isn't always bad. Sometimes you do need to put yourself first. :smile:
Original post by RachaelBee

No, he just feels like it's coming on.. he hasn't had it before
I would agree with the GP appointment, when he is ready, however about the anti-depressants, sometimes the thought of going onto tablets can be scary and make someone take a step back. I was on tablets but they didn't do anything for me. I'm not saying they don't work, they just didn't work for me. I would ease him into the idea of tablets and tell him the doctor may suggest them, so that he isn't thrown by the idea. :smile:

Yeah, his body rejects most medication. It'll end up attacking him instead.
Yeah, his body rejects most medication. It'll end up attacking him instead.

Keep that in mind if a doctor recommends them for him. The tablets I was on has some pretty rubbish side effects, like migranes, dizziness, vomiting. Hence why I didn't stay on them.
The downside of most anti-depressant meds are that they usually take about a month for your body to adjust, so you do kind of have to persevere for a while. :smile:
Keep that in mind if a doctor recommends them for him. The tablets I was on has some pretty rubbish side effects, like migranes, dizziness, vomiting. Hence why I didn't stay on them.
The downside of most anti-depressant meds are that they usually take about a month for your body to adjust, so you do kind of have to persevere for a while. :smile:

Yeah, thank you. I'll try and support him and be ready for it if it comes.
Yeah, thank you. I'll try and support him and be ready for it if it comes.

It seems to me that you are already doing a great job. :smile:
It seems to me that you are already doing a great job. :smile:

Thank you, it's because I love him a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending