The Student Room Group

Gap year after getting in to Oxford

Hello, I have gotten an offer from Christ Church Oxford to study modern languages. I am very excited about this but I have recently fallen into depression and am just generally going through a very tough period of my life. I feel like I can’t start something as intense and important as university, I don’t really have the mental strength right now. Do you think it would be possible for me to ask for a gap year in such a short period of time before uni?
Original post by Sunningdalian
Hello, I have gotten an offer from Christ Church Oxford to study modern languages. I am very excited about this but I have recently fallen into depression and am just generally going through a very tough period of my life. I feel like I can’t start something as intense and important as university, I don’t really have the mental strength right now. Do you think it would be possible for me to ask for a gap year in such a short period of time before uni?

i completly understand u as i am going through the same thing i have a very tough decision to make and i am very depressed and dont know what to do but i would suggest give yourself a gap year if u reallly need it other than that u should try and take a break of of evryone and social media and just make yourself happy and focus on yourself. and tell yourself u can do it as this is a very important journey but you know yourself better than i or anyone else if u think u will not e able to do it and u need the gap year take it . your metal health comes first and even if u force yourself into doing it u would lose the motivation midway through si i would suggest do the self care week first and if u still dont feel like it than i would suggest u take the gape year. and guud luck i know its hard but better times and happiness will come ur way so dont give upppp <3
Hi, I'd speak to your GP, and also speak to a student advisor at your university to see your options :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending