The Student Room Group

Misread GCSE English Lit question 2016

Hi, anyone know the implications of answering the question incorrectly? My daughter who was devastated she didn't finish the 2nd question in the AQA exam today has subsequently found out she misread the 1st question entirely. She wrote about Shelia and Eric instead of Shelia and Gerald for some unknown reason?! She's now even more upset so I wondered if anybody else has done this before and how it affected their grades? She already got an A* for the coursework. Thanks.
Original post by MammaP
Hi, anyone know the implications of answering the question incorrectly? My daughter who was devastated she didn't finish the 2nd question in the AQA exam today has subsequently found out she misread the 1st question entirely. She wrote about Shelia and Eric instead of Shelia and Gerald for some unknown reason?! She's now even more upset so I wondered if anybody else has done this before and how it affected their grades? She already got an A* for the coursework. Thanks.

Well, the A* in her coursework will help, and bear it in mind that marks will come from other questions and the poetry exam on Tuesday, other than that, I am not sure whether there is much that an be done sorry. :frown:
Reply 2
I asked my teacher as my friend did this. Although she answered the question incorrectly, it'll still be seen as correct so lets say she got 26/30, her marks would then be subsequently cut to 13/30 due to it not being the right answer. Not great as its clearly very upsetting, especially when you've worked for your original grade, but she should still definitely pass that exam! Really go for poetry!
Reply 3
She needs to A* her poetry exam on Thursday as she'll probably end up with a D/C overall without it.

There is nothing the exam board will be able to do about her misreading so she will be penalised/ get low or no marks but her coursework should be especially helpful if she has a high grade in coursework and poetry she could scrape a B/A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by MammaP

Hiya :smile:
I did this in my first literature poetry mock - it wasn't an ideal situation, but my teacher said the examiner would likely mark it for the question the student answered, then mark them down appropriately for doing the wrong question. As a result, I got 36/36 for the question I answered, but this was marked down to 22/36 because I read it wrong. Obviously that was the other exam, but it's the same exam board and course so I assume the protocol would be similar.

I'd also mention that my friend completely forgot to do part 2 of the second section in her literature mock (which I guess is similar to what your daughter did?), but still managed to get an A* overall for her section one answer and part one of section two, so while it may feel like she's failed the exam, the situation might not be anywhere near as bad as she thinks it is.

Also, with an A* in coursework and the poetry mock at the end of the week, there's plenty of opportunity to bring the grade back up.

I'm sorry for your daughter - it's a position none of us wish to be in - but I hope this helps a bit :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for all your replies, I really appreciate it. 👍🏼
Reply 6
Misreading questions can happen to anyone. Each question should be read at least three times. I know someone that done their french exam in German. No point fretting over it now. Whats done is done.. All the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending