The Student Room Group

Work experience for Graduate entry medicine in London

Hello everyone,

I am currently a student on placement, studying biomedical engineering, I will hopefully graduate in 2017 with a first. I recently heard of a graduate entry in medicine, and I am quite interested (as I imagine hundreds of other people are...). I have been offered a place in medicine in another country in 2012, and declined it for personal/economical/political reasons, and I am regretting it.
I would just like your opinion/ advice. My real issue is that, as I come from a french background, I didn't have much chance in getting any work experience, well at least not in a medical field. But I have talked to doctors, and to medical students, and I did spend nearly a month if not more in a hospital and caring for a parent. I obviously know this cannot be considered as 'work experience', but just to show that I quite understand the reality of becoming a doctor.
I am currently doing a placement as an electrical undergraduate engineer in the energy field (1 year) and that is the only experience I have. I was thinking that maybe if I started a volunteering work in september before applying in october that might help?
I obviously know that I need a lot more than just work experience, but that's the bit I am the most insecure of.
So I just wanted to hear from you, do you think I would have a chance or I should just let it go?

Thank you so much!
Original post by Starshine94
Hello everyone,

I am currently a student on placement, studying biomedical engineering, I will hopefully graduate in 2017 with a first. I recently heard of a graduate entry in medicine, and I am quite interested (as I imagine hundreds of other people are...). I have been offered a place in medicine in another country in 2012, and declined it for personal/economical/political reasons, and I am regretting it.
I would just like your opinion/ advice. My real issue is that, as I come from a french background, I didn't have much chance in getting any work experience, well at least not in a medical field. But I have talked to doctors, and to medical students, and I did spend nearly a month if not more in a hospital and caring for a parent. I obviously know this cannot be considered as 'work experience', but just to show that I quite understand the reality of becoming a doctor.
I am currently doing a placement as an electrical undergraduate engineer in the energy field (1 year) and that is the only experience I have. I was thinking that maybe if I started a volunteering work in september before applying in october that might help?
I obviously know that I need a lot more than just work experience, but that's the bit I am the most insecure of.
So I just wanted to hear from you, do you think I would have a chance or I should just let it go?

Thank you so much!

You need to consider that different universities require different levels of work experience/volunteering, so do your homework first! Plenty of places will take you with your degree although some are off limits (again, Google entry requirements). You're in London, which has loads of volunteering opportunities! I did St. John ambulance for 2 years while working full time in London, so it's definitely manageable, as well as being good fun and great experience for med school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending