The Student Room Group

edexcel poetry clashes and collisions

hey guys does anybody have a good analysis of the parades end poem? also what do you all think the unseen poem will be?
Original post by HappyRose33
hey guys does anybody have a good analysis of the parades end poem? also what do you all think the unseen poem will be?

Why yes, yes I do. :smile:
Firstly, there is family, notice the mention of "Dad" and "Brother" and "We" (referring to family) throughout. Based on the events in the poem, the mentioning and referencing to family reflects the feelings of a young Daljit Nagra (the author), it's him and his family against the White "council mum's" who call them "darkies", a derogatory term for Asians, and dislike their "flash caahs". This shows the reader how the family members are victims of, in a way, modern day segregation; they aren't accepted into their society. Then we have the short part at the end of the second verse where he quotes what he hears the council mums say, he uses an eye dialect as he writes, "Come op ta Yorksha", this could be an element of satire but is, most likely, Nagra is mimicking them out of anger. In the third verse Nagra writes about the security procedures that they through to lock up, they "bolted two metal bars across the back door (with a new lock)". The bolting of the metal bars suggest that they need protecting from the hostile environment outside, the hostile environment creating by the Yorkshire people. He specifies that the back door has a new lock to show how the crime involving their "champagne-gold" Granada has happened before, the relevance of the gold car shows their wealth however it is also relevant at the end when, after "watching the car-skin pucker, bubbling smarts of acid" as people have vandalised their car with acid, they "swept away the bonnet leaves from gold to the brown of [their] previous colour." This could be showing how, in spite of their best efforts to fit in with the local area, the local population try to exclude them, single them out because of their colour. Though the main theme is racism, you can look at class in the poem too, though there is less to write.
Also, I don't think it really is possible to predict the unseen poem, however I would not be surprised if it was a Tom Hardy poem, the thing to remember, if it is a poem of his (and I'm not saying it will be, my guess is as good as yours), is that he almost always writes about his wife with whom he had very little to do with, and regretted this after her death; hence the writing of many poems about her.
Reply 3
I do Clashes and Collisions too, which poem do you think will come up?
Original post by khall16
I do Clashes and Collisions too, which poem do you think will come up?

As an educated guess, I think either The Class Game or The Drum will come up, and the question will be about anger. If The Drum comes up then compare with Class Game and visa versa. Of course this is just a guess...
I hope the exam is easy! I want to pass at least one subject this year! :smile:
Look, if you find an exam hard, and others find it hard, then the grade boundaries will be lower. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending