The Student Room Group

AQA Elements of the Gothic (LITB3) - ONLY QUOTES!

Okay I don't know how helpful this will be (I hope very helpful). But I thought we could dedicate a thread just to quotes (analysis if you feel like giving it).

So basically I think we should use this formula to organise the thread:

Gothic text:
Quote(s):

Analysis: (if you feel like giving it)

We should keep it as simple as possible, basically we should dedicate this thread solely to quotes. Personally I have a habit of memorising quotes that probably aren't necessary for the exam.

Please don't let this be a dead thread :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Gothic text: Macbeth
Quotes:
Banquo "That look not like th' inhabitants o' th' Earth" (act 1, sc 3)
Banquo "You should be women, and yet your beards forbid me to interpret you are so" (act 1, sc 3)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
x

Cheeky bump :teehee: this is a really good thread :redface:
Original post by iEthan
Cheeky bump :teehee: this is a really good thread :redface:

:frown: Hopefully I get some quotes soon.

If this all works out, this thread is honestly so perfect for the crammers, they can scroll down and memorise the necessary quotes.
I've got your back crammers! :wink:
Gothic text: The Bloody Chamber

Quote: "His wedding gift, clasped round my throat. A choker of rubies, two inches wide, like an extraordinarily precious slit throat."

Spoiler

Gothic Text: Macbeth
Quote: "This place is too cold for hell. I'll devil-porter it no further" The Porter. The quote shows the Porter referring to Macbeth's Castle as Hell after the death of Duncan. It helps to reinforce the idea of Macbeth being an evil character.
Gothic Text: Macbeth
Quote: "Unsex me here."
Analysis: Lady Macbeth has a strong desire to abandon her role as a stereotypical female in the play. This would have been disliked by the Jacobean audiences as it shows Lady Macbeth going directly against the will of God.
Really good quote from Mary Woolstonecroft that can be apllied to a number of different Gothic texts, especially Frankenstein and Macbeth.
"No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness"
Gothic Text: Frankenstein
Quote: "I ought to be thy Adam; but I am rather the fallen angel" The Monster
Reply 9
Wuthering Heights

Heathcliff says this about Catherine (Earnshaw)

"In every cloud, in every tree...I am surrounded by her image!"

This shows his devotion to her, even after she has passed away. It also links Catherine to the world of nature rather than the world of men.
Frankenstein:
The creature - ''I will glut the maw of death, until it be satiated with the blood of your remaining friends.''
For some reason this one sticks with me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending