The Student Room Group

Is 2GB of data enough or should I get more?

Found a phone contract with 1000 minutes and 2gb data, but don't know whether this is enough or if I should get a bit more.

I have never had a smart phone before.
hey that should be enough data, and that is plenty of minutes. I have 2GB myself. Although it depends on what you will use it for, certain apps use a lot more data than others. Internet browsing will require more data than messaging apps such as Whatsapp. However, depending on your service provider, you can buy extra boosts if you are running low on data. Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cheeriosarenice
Found a phone contract with 1000 minutes and 2gb data, but don't know whether this is enough or if I should get a bit more.

2GB is far more than you're likely to need, unless you're likely to be on YouTube all the time while on the bus, or whatever.

My contract has 250MB and I don't use all that - then again all I use when I'm out is Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp; I don't use the web unless I really need to look something up.
Reply 3
Original post by 98 Zara :)
hey that should be enough data, and that is plenty of minutes. I have 2GB myself. Although it depends on what you will use it for, certain apps use a lot more data than others. The Internet is particular drains a lot of data. However, depending on your service provider, you can buy extra boosts if you are running low on data. Hope this helps! :smile:
:facepalm2:

What do you think the data's for? That's like saying drinking in particular drains your mug of tea.

Do you think you'll use it when moving about???

For example, I use mine as a hotspot a lot, and so 2GB gets me nowhere. I use nearer 10-15 per month from using it as a hotspot, as well as when the internet at my flat gets very slow, I just use the 4G...
My friends bug me about the fact that I can never get through my 2GB of data-- I literally have to force myself to use it sometimes. However it can go down pretty fast if you stream or go on Tumblr for like one second. If you predominately use it for Networking and messaging it will be more than enough. Also if you will spend the majority of the month at home with WiFi than it should last you.
I'd go for a 4gb data.
I only have 1GB and I always seem to use it up halfway through the month - I don't know how this happens as I'm nearly always on wifi at home or at work :frown:

Hey OP :wavey:

2GB is quite small, try going for 4GB! I've moved this over to Mobile Phones for you, where it's more suitable.

Cheers!
Ethan

I have around 8gb which is the best amount, anything less and i struggle to use it. But it depends what you use it for, i use for twitter whatsapp youtuve odd gaming app that requires internet, spotify etc.

If 2gb is just for the odd occasion and if youre using wifi alot more then it should be ok.
Original post by 98 Zara :)
hey that should be enough data, and that is plenty of minutes. I have 2GB myself. Although it depends on what you will use it for, certain apps use a lot more data than others. Internet browsing will require more data than messaging apps such as Whatsapp. However, depending on your service provider, you can buy extra boosts if you are running low on data. Hope this helps! :smile:

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Can you get data boosts on EE?
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Can you get data boosts on EE?

Hi,

On EE you can buy additional data packs if you run out of data in a given month. Also, something that's good to know, is that on EE, if you run out of data, you can't use the Internet, without buying an additional pack. Which is a good thing, because otherwise you could rack up an expensive bill with data overage charges.

In regards to my input on the amount of data: Used to have a 500MB plan originally (Virgin Mobile), used between 200 and 300MB on an average month, and it really wasn't a lot of data. Was scared of going over.
Then changed to a 3.5GB data plan, this was better, used 1-2.5GB on an average month, again to be on the safe side.
Now on EE 4G 16GB plan, last month I used 2.82GB, which was the most amount of data I have used in a month, and with 4G access, it's much easier to use more data. Certain apps such as Speedtest, Tunein Radio, Youtube etc use data depending on what speeds are available, so faster connections (i.e. 4G) use more data than slower connections (3G).

Hope that helps!
Reply 12
2GB should be fine - make sure you are connected to wifi at home/work/freinds houses - and mobile data is turned off - only turn it on when you need to when you are out (e.g. check facebook etc) then turn it off again when not using it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending