The Student Room Group

a level choices - any advice?

I have chosen to study Psychology (AQA), History (AQA), English Literature B (AQA) and Sociology (AQA). It would be a great help if anyone who is studying one of these subjects to give me advice on how to achieve an A*-A. Thank you!!!! :h::h:
Reply 1
Original post by thoushallnotpass
I have chosen to study Psychology (AQA), History (AQA), English Literature B (AQA) and Sociology (AQA). It would be a great help if anyone who is studying one of these subjects to give me advice on how to achieve an A*-A. Thank you!!!! :h::h:

I do OCR English Lit, but my advice would be to have a good understanding of each text and ensure that you're comfortable with the context of them. This could be historical, social, biographical etc. Not sure how your course weights these features but they are definitely needed.

Learning quotes isn't hard if you understand each text and read over them a few times. You'll probably do key passages in class, and for me because we analysed certain sections the quotes just stuck in my brain anyway.

Another feature of A level is using critics so make sure you understand what any critics you find are arguing. Best way to find these is to buy a "student copy" of your texts from Amazon and look in the back! Obviously you can use books/ the Internet to find more.

If you're a natural essay writer then English won't be hard. As long as you understand what's going on and learn how your course weights certain features of your writing (critical opinions, analysis of language etc) you can tailor your essays to hit those criteria.

Good luck and well done on not choosing science A levels (aka death)!
(edited 7 years ago)
Make sure you read the books for lit!!!

Quick Reply

Latest