The Student Room Group

Plato's 'The Republic': Describing a people's democracy or a dictatorship?

For Government & Politics, the democratic theory element makes a reference to plato's work The Republic which isn't quite clear on what kind of system he espouses, particularly when he discusses the 5 forms of government and which one he advocates through his Guardians and Philosopher-kings. Does anyone have any thoughts of what kind of political system he is advocating/espouses?
Reply 1
Plato, like Aristotle, thought democracy was weak and destructive (not least because of how Socrates died).

The Republic does not advocate dictatorship in the way you mean it today, but it is close to aristocracy I would say.

That's how I view it at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by *Stefan*
Plato, like Aristotle, thought democracy was weak and destructive (not least because of how Socrates died).

The Republic does not advocate dictatorship in the way you mean it today, but it is close to aristocracy I would say.

That's how I view it at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aaah ok thank you - do you have any source from which that could be interpreted specifically from or should I just look at his aristrocratic model of government and specify how things degenerate from there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending