The Student Room Group

What should I drop?

Hi

So I just finished my AS exams and I'm pretty sure that I want to study maths at uni now. Currently I study maths, fm, physics, history and economics. I am definitely going to be dropping history but I am not sure whether to drop economics as well.
What do you guys think?
Original post by hellomynameisr
Hi

So I just finished my AS exams and I'm pretty sure that I want to study maths at uni now. Currently I study maths, fm, physics, history and economics. I am definitely going to be dropping history but I am not sure whether to drop economics as well.
What do you guys think?

It depends on what you want to do next, or what you enjoy most!

Physics is a very heavy workload, and it might be nice to have more of an humanities(ish) subject to balance out your maths and further maths. Economics is also a bit more 'real life applicable' if you decide to go into finance after university.

However, it really is down to you. If you're going on to study maths at uni, then any other subjects other than maths can just be done either because you enjoy them or to facilitate your grades to get into uni.
Physics will likely be tougher than economics, so if your also doing to be doing maths and fm it might be better to have economics as your "lighter" subject. Unless of course you need physics or enjoy it much more.
Reply 4
Hi

What do you guys think?

Go with your gut instinct. If you're certain on maths then drop economics, but if you're not sure then carry on with it. you could always drop economics later on if you apply for maths at uni and get offers ?
Hi

What do you guys think?

Hey,I would definitely agree with you in that doing 4 A levels is not needed to get into a decent Uni-quality over quantity.

If I were you, I'd wait until results come out-that's if you sat any exams this year? I'm an old-timer A2 student... so keep on putting in the effort with your subjects so that you're not behind if you decide to keep one you previously wanted to drop

Also, that way, you can look at entry requirements, gauge how much work you'd have to put into economics next year, whether you'd think it would be worth it along with the other A levels

You say you're pretty sure you want to study Maths as opposed to 100%. If your school is like mine, you don't have to have to decide now-I waited until the second week of A2 even before choosing a 3rd A2 and deciding not to carry on with 4. So you can afford to be hasty

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest