The Student Room Group

Which college should I apply to?

I really want to study History at Cambridge but I don't know which college is best for me and it's unlikely that I'll be able to actually visit Cambridge before applying :/

Things I'm looking for:

-good en suite accommodation
-central/ fairly central
-older rather than newer
-fairly close to the history faculty building
-possibly good self catering facilities but I know these are not usually found at Cambridge

If anyone could help me create a narrow list of suitable colleges that would be great :smile:
Original post by StressedCoffee
I really want to study History at Cambridge but I don't know which college is best for me and it's unlikely that I'll be able to actually visit Cambridge before applying :/

Things I'm looking for:

-central/ fairly central
-older rather than newer
-possibly good self catering facilities but I know these are not usually found at Cambridge

The combination of 'en-suite' and 'older rather than newer' very rarely coincide - they didn't have internal plumbing pre 1800! Plus all Colleges have a very mixed stock of accommodation types that undergrads move around in their three years, so wherever you go, you are likely to have smaller and larger, newer and older and nearer and further out accommodation.

If en-suite is important, go for a new College, as you are more likely to be able to get that for more than one year.

The History Faculty is on the Sidgwick site, you can Google the university map and see which colleges are close to that. Cambridge isn't very large, so no College is any great distance from anywhere, compared to most city centre universities, so 'fairly close' comes down to your own perception and your other priorities.
Original post by StressedCoffee

Things I'm looking for:

-central/ fairly central
-older rather than newer

If anyone could help me create a narrow list of suitable colleges that would be great :smile:

You can guess what I'll recommend....

We have en suites available in all 3 years, are the oldest college and are 5 minutes from the centre of town. All Colleges have a mixture of types of accommodation, don't be deterred from an older college! If you want to learn more about History at Peterhouse, we'll be running a thread with our History interviewers and Admissions Tutor here from 18th July to 2nd August. Seriously though, if you can't make it to Cambridge, the CUSU alternative prospectus is a great resource for this sort of thing, as are the University and individual College websites.

However, remember that the College you apply to is only a preference and a large number of people end up at a College they didn't apply to and absolutely love it! College choice isn't anything like as important as you might think - there are no bad colleges!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending