The Student Room Group

Worried I'm not making the right choice...

I am really interested in studying psychology at uni, but all my friends are doing vocational courses such as medicine and dentistry and I feel really guilty for some reason, like I should be doing one of those too :frown:

I always see posts about how a degree in psychology won't really get you anywhere unless you have a specific career goal in mind, and I don't know at all yet, I just know that I really want to study the subject.

(I didn't take psychology for A level - stupid I know, but I didn't even think about it before and didn't realise I had such an interest until recently as I've been looking at uni courses available)

I feel like people wouldn't regard it very well and I'll be unhappy when I'm older. I really don't want to regret my choice in the future.

I'm not interested in much else :frown:
I would go for it.

It sounds like you'll enjoy the course, and if you don't have a specific career path in mind that's fine. Psychology can take you many places.*
Original post by EnchantedRose
I am really interested in studying psychology at uni, but all my friends are doing vocational courses such as medicine and dentistry and I feel really guilty for some reason, like I should be doing one of those too :frown:

I always see posts about how a degree in psychology won't really get you anywhere unless you have a specific career goal in mind, and I don't know at all yet, I just know that I really want to study the subject.

(I didn't take psychology for A level - stupid I know, but I didn't even think about it before and didn't realise I had such an interest until recently as I've been looking at uni courses available)

I feel like people wouldn't regard it very well and I'll be unhappy when I'm older. I really don't want to regret my choice in the future.

I did psych and think it's fine to do as long as you're open-minded about later careers. If you're thinking "I'm going to do psych and 100% going to be a clinical psychologist" then you'll likely be disappointed (though obviously it's not completely impossible). I did the degree with the mindset of "I'd like to work in mental health but if something else comes along then that's fine too", and luckily I did fall into a different type of work (civil service stats).

Psych gives you lots of re-usable skills like people skills, stats, analysis of evidence, logical thinking....as long as you can apply those to a job application you'll be great. Ignore the people who tell you not to do it :smile:
I would opt for a vocational course. I say that with experience.

What your friends are doing and what your family think of your choice is totally irrelevant to your university choice. Is it their life? No, so it is not their choice to make.

The vast majority of people starting uni have no career path in mind, so you're not abnormal in that sense.
Original post by Noodlzzz
I would go for it.

It sounds like you'll enjoy the course, and if you don't have a specific career path in mind that's fine. Psychology can take you many places.*

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll stick with it

Original post by Daniellecorni5h
I did psych and think it's fine to do as long as you're open-minded about later careers. If you're thinking "I'm going to do psych and 100% going to be a clinical psychologist" then you'll likely be disappointed (though obviously it's not completely impossible). I did the degree with the mindset of "I'd like to work in mental health but if something else comes along then that's fine too", and luckily I did fall into a different type of work (civil service stats).

Psych gives you lots of re-usable skills like people skills, stats, analysis of evidence, logical thinking....as long as you can apply those to a job application you'll be great. Ignore the people who tell you not to do it :smile:

Yeah I am open about my future career so hopefully I'll be alright... thanks, that's reassuring :smile:

Original post by KatieBlogger
I would opt for a vocational course. I say that with experience.

I understand that suggestion... but I have no honest interest in them so I probably wouldn't be successful anyway. Thanks though

Original post by super_kawaii
What your friends are doing and what your family think of your choice is totally irrelevant to your university choice. Is it their life? No, so it is not their choice to make.

The vast majority of people starting uni have no career path in mind, so you're not abnormal in that sense.

Yeah I agree, thanks. Think I'll stick to my choice then

Eh, most jobs available to grads could care less what you studied. I'd definitely go, but make sure you start building up your CV (grades, work experience, etc) networking, going to careers fairs to be ahead of the curve.

If you play it right, you'll get a job before uni is over.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand that suggestion... but I have no honest interest in them so I probably wouldn't be successful anyway. Thanks though

I wish you luck, sincerely.
taster course
You can do loads of things with a psychology degree - it isn't as "respectable" as say, maths but a degree is a degree and employers will still be impressed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it's what you want to do, go for it. A lot of people saying it's completely worthless, it's worthless for. Of course it's not going to be worth much for someone who has little interest in it and is studying something else, something they consider superior. Don't feel bad for not taking something vocational. If you want to go into psychology, take psychology. You can be taken down many different paths with psychology, so if you have nothing specific in mind that's fine! If you think you'll enjoy it and you like the sound of the course, then by all means go for it.
Do research and see what other people use it for after.
Work out what you might like to do after.
I wouldnt go until I was sure its what I wanted to do. If I knew then I wouldnt hesitate.

Well, if that's true, what advice can we give you?

The truth is: psychology is less employable, respected, and financially valuable than many other degrees (STEM). It is more so than some others (media studies, art, English lit).

I always advise that doing this sort of degree at a top uni is not such a risk because the name itself can count later. But at a lesser uni it's a more questionable decision.

You should definitely read some popular books and textbooks on the subject to see if it's the sort of thing you would like. I can recommend some if you want.

If you were tossing up between psychology and say engineering or medicine I would instantly recommend the latter two. But if not, you can only make your own decision based on the facts.

Quick Reply

Latest