Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University to Brick University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Snufkin
You were lucky, which is fair enough.

People reading this thread should take care, some people slip through the net - but you can't bank on getting an SFE assessor who doesn't know the rules. Better not to study with the OU for more than one year if you can possibly avoid it.

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure that's fine because my years at ou were part time so it's not like I got full funding then. I checked the rules before I applied for student finance again and that was accepted
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by zRa
I don't think so, I'm pretty sure that's fine because my years at ou were part time so it's not like I got full funding then. I checked the rules before I applied for student finance again and that was accepted

But the rules don't say that. See here: http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/1511/sfe-17-18-assessing-eligibility-guidance-chapterpdf.pdf

It basically says that if you have received a qualification or you've studied enough credits to be entitled to a qualification (which you have, 120 credits = CertHE) then you will be counted as having done previous study, whether it was full-time or part-time. As I say, you got lucky - not everyone does.
Reply 22
Original post by Snufkin
But the rules don't say that. See here: http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/1511/sfe-17-18-assessing-eligibility-guidance-chapterpdf.pdf

It basically says that if you have received a qualification or you've studied enough credits to be entitled to a qualification (which you have, 120 credits = CertHE) then you will be counted as having done previous study, whether it was full-time or part-time. As I say, you got lucky - not everyone does.

I didn't get a qualification from 120 credits, I would've had to carry on another 2 years to get that
Original post by zRa
I didn't get a qualification from 120 credits, I would've had to carry on another 2 years to get that

Whether or not you got one is irrelevant - if you did 120 credits at level 1, then you are entitled to one. That's what matters.
Reply 24
Original post by Snufkin
Whether or not you got one is irrelevant - if you did 120 credits at level 1, then you are entitled to one. That's what matters.

I don't see how this makes any sense,
If a full-time student gets 4 years of funding (3 years plus 1 extra) Wouldnt a part-time get 6 years plus 2 extra? Or do part-times only get 6 or less than 6 with not extra? Because if they do then what you're saying is wrong.
If he has done 2 years at part-time with a remainder of 4 plus 2 part-time, then moves to a full-time degree, wouldn't those 6 remaining years of part-time funding become 3 of full-time giving him the funding needed?
How do his remaining 6 years of funding that he had suddenly become only 2 years of full-time having to pay the 3rd (or 1st)?
Original post by lucas_m
If a full-time student gets 4 years of funding (3 years plus 1 extra) Wouldnt a part-time get 6 years plus 2 extra? Or do part-times only get 6 or less than 6 with not extra? Because if they do then what you're saying is wrong.
If he has done 2 years at part-time with a remainder of 4 plus 2 part-time, then moves to a full-time degree, wouldn't those 6 remaining years of part-time funding become 3 of full-time giving him the funding needed?
How do his remaining 6 years of funding that he had suddenly become only 2 years of full-time having to pay the 3rd (or 1st)?

The part-time rules are not relevant because zRa would be doing a full-time degree. If you switch from part-time to full-time then each year of your previous part-time stuffy will be counted as full-time for student finance purposes.
Original post by lucas_m

Funding is calculated on length of course +1 for full time or length of course + however long 1 academic year takes you for part time. You could have up to 14 years funding if you’re studying part time at 25% rate.

It isn’t as simple as the above. If you’re unlucky student finance will remove your part time years from your full time entitlement as they count them as full time years. If you’re lucky they’ll forget their rules and give you the full time funding anyway.
Original post by SuperCat007
Funding is calculated on length of course +1 for full time or length of course + however long 1 academic year takes you for part time. You could have up to 14 years funding if you’re studying part time at 25% rate.

It isn’t as simple as the above. If you’re unlucky student finance will remove your part time years from your full time entitlement as they count them as full time years. If you’re lucky they’ll forget their rules and give you the full time funding anyway.

I believe this is slightly incorrect with the end bit - I've just rang SFE as I started to panic then, ha! I'm currently on something called the OpenPlus Scheme, but slightly modified. I'm studying the math modules MST124/125 (60 Credits Level 1) in Feb and the Physics module S217 in October (60 Credits Level 2). As long I achieve the agreed grade, I will enter Sheffield University on the Phsyics and Astrophysics degree in Year 1.

Originally I had panicked a bit over the loan entitlement but was told - as well as been verified again, today - that you are entitled to the duration of your course, plus an additional year should you need to take any resits. I contacted them again as after reading you mentioning what you had put about part-time years counting as 1 year had me worried. They verified this isn't the case. Luckily, because I'm studying 60 Credits at both Level 1 and 2, I won't gain a qualification from this and SFE said I'd be entitled to the full loan, plus the extra year due to this, when I start full-time. Worst case scenario is if my 120 credits did get included as a year, that would just be my extra year used up.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions, feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by NovaeSci186
I contacted them again as after reading you mentioning what you had put about part-time years counting as 1 year had me worried. They verified this isn't the case. Luckily, because I'm studying 60 Credits at both Level 1 and 2, I won't gain a qualification from this and SFE said I'd be entitled to the full loan, plus the extra year due to this, when I start full-time. Worst case scenario is if my 120 credits did get included as a year, that would just be my extra year used up.

Part-time years do counts as full-time years though. You are correct that because you are doing 60 credits at level 1 and 60 credits a level 2 (and therefore won't be entitled to a qualification), you won't be affected by this. If you were doing 120 level 1 credits then you would. It's unfair, but that's how it works.
Reply 29
Original post by lucas_m

Hey, I'm a girl btw :smile: I don't really understand what you're saying, I only studied 2 years at ou (part time and would have had to do only 2 more years to get a qualification) and now 3 years full time at brick uni, so I'm not sure where the 6 years plus 2 extra is coming from. Sorry I don't understand and haven't really answered your question but feel free to message me if you want to know anything else! :smile:
Reply 30
I believe this is slightly incorrect with the end bit - I've just rang SFE as I started to panic then, ha! I'm currently on something called the OpenPlus Scheme, but slightly modified. I'm studying the math modules MST124/125 (60 Credits Level 1) in Feb and the Physics module S217 in October (60 Credits Level 2). As long I achieve the agreed grade, I will enter Sheffield University on the Phsyics and Astrophysics degree in Year 1.

Originally I had panicked a bit over the loan entitlement but was told - as well as been verified again, today - that you are entitled to the duration of your course, plus an additional year should you need to take any resits. I contacted them again as after reading you mentioning what you had put about part-time years counting as 1 year had me worried. They verified this isn't the case. Luckily, because I'm studying 60 Credits at both Level 1 and 2, I won't gain a qualification from this and SFE said I'd be entitled to the full loan, plus the extra year due to this, when I start full-time. Worst case scenario is if my 120 credits did get included as a year, that would just be my extra year used up.

So I think you're doing the same as i did? I did 2 years, 60 credits each which added up to 120 credits. Which still isn't a qualification hence why I came to brick uni. It would have only been a full qualification if I did 4 years there :smile:
Original post by zRa
So I think you're doing the same as i did? I did 2 years, 60 credits each which added up to 120 credits. Which still isn't a qualification hence why I came to brick uni. It would have only been a full qualification if I did 4 years there :smile:

What modules did you do? If they were both level 1 modules then you are entitled to a qualification. And that's what matters to SFE, you don't need to have it - just be entitled to it.

It sounds like you were lucky to be given full funding. As SuperCat007 says, some people (maybe even most people) slip through the net because these rules are poorly understood even by SFE's own staff, but if you are going to use the OU as a route into brick uni then I think you should assume that you will be unlucky and plan to not study with the OU for more than one year, just in case.
Reply 32
Original post by Snufkin
What modules did you do? If they were both level 1 modules then you are entitled to a qualification. And that's what matters to SFE, you don't need to have it - just be entitled to it.

It sounds like you were lucky to be given full funding. As SuperCat007 says, some people (maybe even most people) slip through the net because these rules are poorly understood even by SFE's own staff, but if you are going to use the OU as a route into brick uni then I think you should assume that you will be unlucky and plan to not study with the OU for more than one year, just in case.

Yeah, they were both level 1, 60 credits each in criminology and psychological studies.

But I don't agree, I think if you want to, go for it. Study 2 years like I did, with only 60 credits each and move on to a brick uni, there was no issue with doing so. Like I said before, all my uni choices were fine with it as was student finance. I'm finishing my 3rd year now and have had no problems. And if you are worried about it because of this thread, just call up student finance/universities and ask them yourself just to clarify. No point in missing out over a misunderstanding :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Well according to SFE, if I was to study 120 credits, then I would have gained a qualification (Certificate of Higher Education, I believe). If studying 2 subjects that are different, then it would be granted as a Certificate of Education on the Open Degree. This in turn would mean you have gained a qualification, so to start at a brick uni, you would have to give up your extra year as you are technically repeating the qualification. I think if you ended up studying 240 credits at the Open Uni, then this would complicate things as you'd need to finance a full-time year on your own.

As I mentioned, I'm luckily doing 60credits from both Level 1 and 2, so I can't be granted a qualification as I haven't completed a full 120 credits at Level 1 and beyond.And as mentioned, even if I did, it would technically just be counted as 1 year. But SFE did tell me that if I studied 120 credits over 2 years, then this wouldn't be counted as 2 years fulltime knocked off as the 2 years were 50% each. They said if this was the case, then it would be pushing part-time students into studying 120 credits part-time over 1 year and biting off more than they can chew. Which is true if you was told that you can study 120 credits over 1 year, or 50% split over 2 years and still losing 2 years for 1 years worth of course modules, you'd jam it all in to make sure you can get to Uni. I got this information directly from SFE, btw :smile:

It isn’t incorrect just omitting some info to reply to the above post.

Obviously the OpenPlus wouldn’t exist if you didn’t get funding and it is about qualifications. People run into all kinds of issues when going from part time to full time because SFE aren’t consistent about applying their own rules. If however, that is the design of your course then I haven’t heard of anyone having any problems with it.
Original post by SuperCat007
It isn’t incorrect just omitting some info to reply to the above post.

Obviously the OpenPlus wouldn’t exist if you didn’t get funding and it is about qualifications. People run into all kinds of issues when going from part time to full time because SFE aren’t consistent about applying their own rules. If however, that is the design of your course then I haven’t heard of anyone having any problems with it.

To be honest, SFE kept giving me different advice, so I definitely agree with you about their inconsistency, ha!
Reply 36
Original post by zRa
Hey, I'm a girl btw :smile: I don't really understand what you're saying, I only studied 2 years at ou (part time and would have had to do only 2 more years to get a qualification) and now 3 years full time at brick uni, so I'm not sure where the 6 years plus 2 extra is coming from. Sorry I don't understand and haven't really answered your question but feel free to message me if you want to know anything else! :smile:

Hey sorry about that, I guess I kept reading your username as Ezra and got confused hahah, I was directing my reply to Snufkin trying to understand why wouldn't someone who started at part-time be entitled to the remaining years when switching to full-time, it all sounded quite unfair and confusing.
Now reading the further comments I see it just as I pictured it in my head, 120 credits split over 2 years should not count as 2 years, at the end of the day it's like it's the same money funded in 1 year to a full-timer, we should all have the same opportunities of funding.
It should even be in their best interest, someone deciding to move faster in their carreer will mean same amount of money lent over a shorter period, meaning earlier graduation, meaning quicker to pay the debt back. Anyway, just a thought.

I'm switching unis this year, but from full-time to full-time, phoned them and same, the adviser did not sound certain of what was being said. So yeah we can all agree they're not always fully trained.
Reply 37
Original post by lucas_m
Hey sorry about that, I guess I kept reading your username as Ezra and got confused hahah, I was directing my reply to Snufkin trying to understand why wouldn't someone who started at part-time be entitled to the remaining years when switching to full-time, it all sounded quite unfair and confusing.
Now reading the further comments I see it just as I pictured it in my head, 120 credits split over 2 years should not count as 2 years, at the end of the day it's like it's the same money funded in 1 year to a full-timer, we should all have the same opportunities of funding.
It should even be in their best interest, someone deciding to move faster in their carreer will mean same amount of money lent over a shorter period, meaning earlier graduation, meaning quicker to pay the debt back. Anyway, just a thought.

I'm switching unis this year, but from full-time to full-time, phoned them and same, the adviser did not sound certain of what was being said. So yeah we can all agree they're not always fully trained.

Haha no worries! Hope you get into the uni you want :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest