The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Health Education England (HEE), the body responsible for training and workforce development in the NHS, made false allegations against him and deleted his doctor training number, making it impossible for him to further his career.

**** me, that's mad. How can they possibly justify deleting his details? I hope they get wiped out for that.

Day's appeal rejects the idea that Health Education England, and NHS Employers EMPLOY doctors, sounds like they want doctors to be technically considered "self-employed"

It means you won't be sacked on the spot, for no reason.....hopefully

Madness that it needed a court of appeal for this.

All students should be made aware by the way that the BMA (yes, our trade union) adamantly refused to assist Chris Day here, saying it wasn't in the members (our) interests.

**** the BMA
Finals in two days and feeling like my brain is a sieve :frown:
Original post by Nuttyneuron

YES mine too! forgetting everything! just absolutely shattered can't wait for it to be over
Original post by Nuttyneuron

Original post by lcsurfer
YES mine too! forgetting everything! just absolutely shattered can't wait for it to be over

Good luck!! :smile:
Original post by MJK91
Good luck!! :smile:

Thank you! :smile: Will let you all know how they go!
Uh. Gotta get up at 5.30 tomorrow. Not because my placement is particularly far, but because it's in a rural location with infrequent buses.

Best get to sleep.
Anyone at Barts have any insight into good placement preferences for 4th year?

I don't live in East London so going on commute time, Barts / Homerton / Whipps are the only ones that come in under an hour each way. I've been at Barts / RLH all year so don't have any experience with the other hospitals.

Wouldn't mind an outfirm if it came to it, but again I have no idea which ones are considered good for teaching. Any advice would be much appreciated 🙃
Sorry, that was me ^
Original post by navarre
Uh. Gotta get up at 5.30 tomorrow. Not because my placement is particularly far, but because it's in a rural location with infrequent buses.

Best get to sleep.

Ah, getting up at the crack of dawn and paying a really rather extortionate amount of money to travel on a wheezing bus as it trundles through every possible deserted residential road in numerous random villages, turning a 30 minute car journey into a 90 minute pain in the arse. The only positive was managing to get some reading done along the way :rofl2:
Original post by Democracy
Ah, getting up at the crack of dawn and paying a really rather extortionate amount of money to travel on a wheezing bus as it trundles through every possible deserted residential road in numerous random villages, turning a 30 minute car journey into a 90 minute pain in the arse. The only positive was managing to get some reading done along the way :rofl2:

Ouch. That's grim budday. I just wish I had a pink license. Even though I wouldn't be able to afford a car either way...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hypothetically, if one had to revise the essentials of a presentation entitled 'neutropaenic sepsis', where would you get a good summary?

Tried Best Practice without much luck. Dunno whether to look at causes of neutropaenia in general, or just specifically neutropaenic fever syndromes?
Original post by MJK91
Hypothetically, if one had to revise the essentials of a presentation entitled 'neutropaenic sepsis', where would you get a good summary?

Tried Best Practice without much luck. Dunno whether to look at causes of neutropaenia in general, or just specifically neutropaenic fever syndromes?

Uptodate
Original post by MJK91

When I think if neutropaenic sepsis I think of it as an oncological emergency. So if that's the context you need to know.. I Googled ontological emergencies and a pretty decent website came up with a good summary there.
Original post by MJK91

Is there anything specific you want to know, e.g. management, investigations, presenting features, risk factors etc? My last job was in oncology so I've seen a fair bit of neutropenic sepsis - don't have enough time to go writing a full rundown, but happy to answer any specific requests. :smile:
I wonder if anyone here has or ever had the problem of transferring textbook knowledge onto clinical content?
I did alright-ish in the 1st year of med school and then really well in the 2nd year so starting clinical placement I believed my knowledge is sufficient and that I will not struggle too much with what seemed to be a recap of previous years.
But so far I either failed or barely passed 4 formative assessments and it really brings me down as I have no idea what I am doing wrong.
I attend the teaching sessions and try to participate as much as possible, I go on wards and generally get a good feedback from doctors and I do work my way through the objectives, read clinical cases and just try to be a "proper medical student", but I just can't get any of the tests right.

It demotivates me a lot, since I am basically moving backwards despite doing probably as much work as others. Right now it got to the point where I am scared of doing another progress test (which I have to do by the end of the week), because I fear getting the same low result.
Original post by Nottie
I wonder if anyone here has or ever had the problem of transferring textbook knowledge onto clinical content?
I did alright-ish in the 1st year of med school and then really well in the 2nd year so starting clinical placement I believed my knowledge is sufficient and that I will not struggle too much with what seemed to be a recap of previous years.
But so far I either failed or barely passed 4 formative assessments and it really brings me down as I have no idea what I am doing wrong.
I attend the teaching sessions and try to participate as much as possible, I go on wards and generally get a good feedback from doctors and I do work my way through the objectives, read clinical cases and just try to be a "proper medical student", but I just can't get any of the tests right.

It demotivates me a lot, since I am basically moving backwards despite doing probably as much work as others. Right now it got to the point where I am scared of doing another progress test (which I have to do by the end of the week), because I fear getting the same low result.

At the minute how are you currently revising and what is the format of your progress tests like? I'd suggest buying a subscription like passmedicine or some books with lots of SBA questions. I found from 3rd year on it's been about familiarising yourself with the most common conditions and learning them in greater depth rather than 1st and 2nd year were I seemed to cover lots of conditions but in a lot less depth.
Original post by Nottie

Did you receive feedback for your formative assessments, or told which questions you struggled with?
Also, how was your timing with the formative assessments? Did you find you were rushing with them or were you generally okay answering the questions?
Original post by Anonymous
At the minute how are you currently revising and what is the format of your progress tests like? I'd suggest buying a subscription like passmedicine or some books with lots of SBA questions. I found from 3rd year on it's been about familiarising yourself with the most common conditions and learning them in greater depth rather than 1st and 2nd year were I seemed to cover lots of conditions but in a lot less depth.

I am making notes (both hand written and computer), I go over Unofficial guide to radiology questions, I read pathology textbooks and just purchased Acute Clinical Medicine cases by Kumar and Clark.
The progress tests are multiple choice questions.

I've heard passmedicine being recommended to final years only as apparently its too detailed and focused on management for 3rd/4th years.

Original post by Angury
Did you receive feedback for your formative assessments, or told which questions you struggled with?
Also, how was your timing with the formative assessments? Did you find you were rushing with them or were you generally okay answering the questions?

We can access the questions and see which one were incorrect and there usually is some explanation as to why the given answer is the correct one. The tests are also available for further use.

I generally rush with the questions, but thats mainly cause I don't know the answers or don't want to overthink it. The maximum allowed time for progress test is 2hrs, but it usually takes me about 30-45mins. It is also the average time spent on completing it for the whole year.

My tutor consultant told me not to worry about these progress tests (and exams in general) as they don't really have any real value in terms of assessing how good of a doctor I can be. She says these are just the boxes I need to tick in order to progress further, but that barely passing doesn't mean I am gonna be a bad doctor, and equally getting over 70% doesn't mean someone will be an amazing doctor.
But I still feel like self-conscious about doing worse than the rest of people I am on placement with.
What even is the point of the PSA. It's literally an exam on speed-using the BNF?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ghotay
What even is the point of the PSA. It's literally an exam on speed-using the BNF?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep. Which makes the "S" in "PSA" extremely ironic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending