The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Im doing a paper that is hopefully going to get a poster presentation/possible publication atm... I am trying to build up my CV as best as possible, I just keep being told i can never be a gynaecologist/surgeon/XYZ if i Don’t intercalate as if it is the end of the world if i dont. Why do people have this attitude? It must stem from something real

Also can i ask why you chose not to intercalate?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by That Bearded Man
Yeah, my uni said their cut off was 39. Just me or is that not quite high? And I don't understand why they don't factor in intercalation or

I don’t think many people apply without wanting a place - the application can be a bit labour intensive for some deaneries, to just do it for fun.
The cut offs are normally quite high but it’s different for each place, in deaneries that it’s lower they might have white space questions or then look at publications etc, or be more focused on interviews . Yorkshire is more interview based I remember
where you thinking of applying?
Original post by Cheesychips1
I don’t think many people apply without wanting a place - the application can be a bit labour intensive for some deaneries, to just do it for fun.
The cut offs are normally quite high but it’s different for each place, in deaneries that it’s lower they might have white space questions or then look at publications etc, or be more focused on interviews . Yorkshire is more interview based I remember
where you thinking of applying?

Northern Ireland, maybe Scotland.
Hey guys i wanted to ask all those who have already done their ukcat exams if their results were comparable to what they got on the ukcat and medify mocks. any answers appreciated
Original post by Anonymous
Northern Ireland, maybe Scotland.

Ah I had a friend apply for NI AFP last year, I don’t think the EPM cut off was as high as 39 but there was lots of white space questions. Good chance to sell yourself!
Original post by Natalierm2707
Im doing a paper that is hopefully going to get a poster presentation/possible publication atm... I am trying to build up my CV as best as possible, I just keep being told i can never be a gynaecologist/surgeon/XYZ if i Don’t intercalate as if it is the end of the world if i dont. Why do people have this attitude? It must stem from something real

Butting in but I thought Obs were doing interviewing all applicants? So... I'd have thought not intercalating wouldn't matter as much as the more comeptitive run-throughs where shortlisting is a thing?
Original post by pppppppqppppppp
Hey guys i wanted to ask all those who have already done their ukcat exams if their results were comparable to what they got on the ukcat and medify mocks. any answers appreciated

I don’t even know what medify is...
Original post by Cheesychips1
I don’t even know what medify is...

Ukcat prep site
Reply 5988
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
The Najeeb lectures, imo, are more indepth than what you need - since they are aimed at the basic science expected for Step 1, which is more that we're required to know in the UK.

I'd recommend the osmosis channel on YouTube
A basic medical sciences like "Medical Sciences" is good - you don't need anything more indept.

Then for clinical resources:
A major text of your choice of Davidson's, Kumar & Clark, Harrison's, Oxford Textbook of Clinical medicine - whatever you choose.
Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine + Clinical Specialties

Thanks!
Original post by hslakaal
Butting in but I thought Obs were doing interviewing all applicants? So... I'd have thought not intercalating wouldn't matter as much as the more comeptitive run-throughs where shortlisting is a thing?

I genuinely have no idea as i know very little about the specialty. I have been very set on being a GP but I have just started my obs and gynae block and i have fallen in love. I would love more info on the training as i know nothing.

It says on the obs person specification that although intercalation/MD is desirable it is not required, just scored alongside other factors. But that is as far as my brief google has got me so far.
Update on the pathology-is-research mess (not that anybody asked, but still): told our year lead that the med school wouldn't be keen/wouldn't let me do an elective in pathology, in the hopes that he'd send a swift email off to the central med school - to which he replied "but why would you want to do an elective in something you'll do for the rest of your life?" :sad:
Original post by pppppppqppppppp
Ukcat prep site

As said a couple of posts above to a similar question, this is a forum of current med students used to moan and ask questions about being a med student. You need to post your question in the relevant UKCAT section (loads of med students lurk around those threads so you will get your questions answered).
Original post by laurie:)
Update on the pathology-is-research mess (not that anybody asked, but still): told our year lead that the med school wouldn't be keen/wouldn't let me do an elective in pathology, in the hopes that he'd send a swift email off to the central med school - to which he replied "but why would you want to do an elective in something you'll do for the rest of your life?" :sad:

Its awful that you’re having so much trouble organising this. You would think the medical school/consultants in the field would be more than enthusiastic to take you on, but instead it seems barriers keep arising.

I hope you can figure out a way around it.
Original post by laurie:)

Doesn't make much sense. I really don't understand the logic behind the position that your medical school is taking.

When you say your "year lead", do you mean the year lead for pathology?
Original post by Anonymous
Doesn't make much sense. I really don't understand the logic behind the position that your medical school is taking.

When you say your "year lead", do you mean the year lead for pathology?

Our clinical med students get divided up and sent away from the central medical school to different geographical sectors (containing different hospitals/foundation trusts) for the clinical years (ie; you do all your clinical placements at hospitals and GP practices within your designated sector - with a couple of exceptions), and each sector has a lead each for years 3/4/5 who co-ordinates the relevant year groups. Students who returned from intercalation were required to have a meeting with the sector head for year 5 and so I brought it up then.

Most of the time the people that tell you that you won't get into xyz specialty without intercalating don't know what they're talking about and almost universally haven't been through the application process to xyz specialty.

I don't know about obgyn but in CST there were 5 points available for presentations/publications compared to just 2 points for a masters and then at interview the portfolio still only accounted for 1/3 of the overall score.
Original post by plrodham1
Most of the time the people that tell you that you won't get into xyz specialty without intercalating don't know what they're talking about and almost universally haven't been through the application process to xyz specialty.

I don't know about obgyn but in CST there were 5 points available for presentations/publications compared to just 2 points for a masters and then at interview the portfolio still only accounted for 1/3 of the overall score.

Thanks for the insight - i really appreciate it.

I have to say those telling me XYZ is inaccessible without intercalating were F1/2s or med students above me. I also got it from a doctor who wanted to go into research and hadn’t intercalated - so maybe i am getting my information from the wrong source.

It is understandable that you get fewer points for not intercalating, but to totally exclude you from a speciality - definitely not worth doing just for the points at all.
Thanks for the insight - i really appreciate it.

I have to say those telling me XYZ is inaccessible without intercalating were F1/2s or med students above me. I also got it from a doctor who wanted to go into research and hadn’t intercalated - so maybe i am getting my information from the wrong source.

It is understandable that you get fewer points for not intercalating, but to totally exclude you from a speciality - definitely not worth doing just for the points at all.

Again though, most will not have been through the application process and you'd be surprised how many people will not know what will be used as part of their selection to specialty, even those in FY2. Medicine is full of so much hear-say regarding recruitment (often to make people feel like their specialty is the hardest to get into) but most specialties will publish their selection criteria and are pretty open about it.

The best people to ask will likely be the ST1s on your placement as they will have the most up to date information and can signpost you to the relevant documents provided by their college. Looking at the data the most recent competition ration was 2.11:1 which was less than CST and i know loads of people who didn't intercalate yet still had no problems getting in CST and getting the job of their choice.

There is so much more to applications including teaching, audit, commitment to specialty, courses, exams etc. I honestly wouldn't worry about intercalation if it's something you aren't going to be able to do, just concentrate on ensuring you make up the points with the rest of your application. The best thing to do in med school is to find a solid mentor who can help guide you regarding the above whilst also affording you a good look into the specialty to ensure that it's definitely for you.
I kind feel like i just want to get out there and be a doctor. Im sick of living off pennies, and i really want my partner to be able to chase his dreams to (which he cant whilst I’m a student as he supports me financially).
The one degree i am interested in looks really good, but a whole year outside med is something that has never appealed to me.
I was asked yesterday by my closest friends where i stand on intercalation, and i answered 75:25 against, and i guess thats where i stand. Im going to apply and decide once i know my fate (dont even know my rank for 3rd year yet so no idea whether im even eligible)
Thankfully whichever way i choose i have friends doing both, so at least i wont be alone.

Thanks for sharing, nice to hear why others didnt choose intercalation as its often seen as the best choice to do it.
Original post by plrodham1
Again though, most will not have been through the application process and you'd be surprised how many people will not know what will be used as part of their selection to specialty, even those in FY2. Medicine is full of so much hear-say regarding recruitment (often to make people feel like their specialty is the hardest to get into) but most specialties will publish their selection criteria and are pretty open about it.

The best people to ask will likely be the ST1s on your placement as they will have the most up to date information and can signpost you to the relevant documents provided by their college. Looking at the data the most recent competition ration was 2.11:1 which was less than CST and i know loads of people who didn't intercalate yet still had no problems getting in CST and getting the job of their choice.

There is so much more to applications including teaching, audit, commitment to specialty, courses, exams etc. I honestly wouldn't worry about intercalation if it's something you aren't going to be able to do, just concentrate on ensuring you make up the points with the rest of your application. The best thing to do in med school is to find a solid mentor who can help guide you regarding the above whilst also affording you a good look into the specialty to ensure that it's definitely for you.

Thanks so much for the advice!! You are so right!

Im going to chat to the obs and gynae training doctors as i agree they are better to answer my questions.

And from now on im going to view intercalation as something extra i can do at med school instead of a golden ticket for points into a speciality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending