The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smile88egc
I've never experienced this, as a paediatric trainee my experience has been the opposite. Colleagues appreciate that I have patients that can't tell me what's wrong, the added challenge of parents and 3 way consulting, and that paeds is one of the last truly general specialties, where neuro, resp, cardiac, gastro, from coughs and colds up to NICU/PICU, it's all in my remit.

We also don't have a crisis in social care that horribly hampers out practice at the mo, which is a big plus!
Paeds is completely the best job in the world :biggrin:

Agree - especially the last line.
Never experienced it either.
People are usually respectful of my ability to cannulate miniature people.
My days, I stumbled into some other non-medicine forums on TSR and instantly regretted it. Why is everyone obsessed with Hitler in the History sub-forum?

I feel so dirty. Why is there such a high number of Holocaust deniers in TSR, or thread titles such as "why I hate feminism - I'm a female!!?!?" Ugh. Everyone's an idiot.
(edited 7 years ago)
My main impression of paeds is overworked, but that mainly stems from a job where the regs were asked to do night shifts at like 6 hours notice very regularly. I assume not everywhere is like that.

Original post by spacepirate-James
My days, I stumbled into some other non-medicine forums on TSR and instantly regretted it. Why is everyone obsessed with Hitler in the History sub-forum?

I feel so dirty. Why is there such a high number of Holocaust deniers in TSR, or thread titles such as "why I hate feminism - I'm a female!!?!?" Ugh. Everyone's an idiot.

I occasionally get drawn over by NHS threads - its amazing how right-wing a group of supposedly young people can be.
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Is it true that paediatricians can become "undervalued" by their adult counterparts? Saw it on one of the bmj articles and thought really?

Not undervalued, I don't think, but they can be quite isolated from the rest of the hospital - as the paeds trainees on here have said, they manage every subspecialty themselves so there's little need for interaction with other teams, whereas within adult specialties there's lots of crossover. Wards are all separate and often secured, and I don't see paeds doctors in the mess very often, though that might just be where I've worked. I go there very occasionally if they have a critically ill child (no PICU at our hospital so the adult ICU team are called in to stabilise/secure airways etc in preparation for retrieval if needed), but that's more than most of my non-ICU colleagues!

junior.doctor
People are usually respectful of my ability to cannulate miniature people.

Absolutely! I'm a pretty good vein hunter usually, but I find myself looking at my son and thinking "I hope you don't get sick because I can't see a single vein!" But I'm sure my paeds colleagues would manage something.
I've learnt so many rude/dirty acronyms to help me with anatomy and my goodness they're useful. :ahee:

Ah D&CA :moon:

It's been overrun by the alt-right which is extremely concerning (and as someone who used to mod that area, also very depressing).
Original post by ForestCat
That sounds good. Ours are march-April time so not quite summer but might be nice still.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As in March/April THIS year? You'd better get on it if so. PM me if you want contact details for Devon.
Original post by Smile88egc
As in March/April THIS year? You'd better get on it if so. PM me if you want contact details for Devon.

Oh no. Next year!!! We just had our elective talk yesterday so I was just musing over ideas.
Has anyone done an elective in Australia? It really interests me, and I was wondering how far in advance you had to organise it - because I've heard it can need 2 years advanced planning!

Also, I'd really like to hear more about people's electives as potential ideas. I'd like an English-speaking country :smile:
Original post by Ezme39
Has anyone done an elective in Australia? It really interests me, and I was wondering how far in advance you had to organise it - because I've heard it can need 2 years advanced planning!

Also, I'd really like to hear more about people's electives as potential ideas. I'd like an English-speaking country :smile:

I went to Sydney and planned about 18 months in advance - and even at that my first choice elective had already been taken. I went to the RPA in Sydney though which is v competitive/quickly booked up, other places might not be so intense.
Original post by Beska
I went to Sydney and planned about 18 months in advance - and even at that my first choice elective had already been taken. I went to the RPA in Sydney though which is v competitive/quickly booked up, other places might not be so intense.

Ah okay thanks! I'd better start thinking now then :h: How did you find it?
Original post by Ezme39

I booked a cool elective in Belize helping this mobile american clinic. They cancelled at very short notice though. Plus they'd go near the border a lot which would kind of mean needing a little Spanish. But Belize is a different idea.

I went to a small Caribbean Island for 4 weeks (Nevis) and the doctor there wants to take more students. If you want more info/an e-mail, ask away.
Original post by nexttime
I booked a cool elective in Belize helping this mobile american clinic. They cancelled at very short notice though. Plus they'd go near the border a lot which would kind of mean needing a little Spanish. But Belize is a different idea.

I went to a small Caribbean Island for 4 weeks (Nevis) and the doctor there wants to take more students. If you want more info/an e-mail, ask away.

Yeah that's an interesting one! Where did you find out about something that unique? :smile:

A Caribbean Island sounds amazing as well. I've got just over two years to go yet, so I won't ask for the email just now, but it's certainly something to keep in mind!
Original post by Ezme39
Yeah that's an interesting one! Where did you find out about something that unique? :smile:

A Caribbean Island sounds amazing as well. I've got just over two years to go yet, so I won't ask for the email just now, but it's certainly something to keep in mind!

I think i decided on country first (its the only central american country that's English speaking) then did some googling. My gf went to Guyana through similar logic/method.

The electives Network is good for browsing as well.

If anyone wants info on Nevis send me a PM/quote whenever. Its interesting, very chilled, and no fees to pay the hospital, though also pretty quiet and the island isn't the cheapest.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ezme39

I've had lots of friends organise electives for Australia. For the major teaching hospitals, it's very competitive and you do need to start very early. In some cases, they only open their applications at a certain date so what a few people did was ask for the paperwork so they could fill it out and when the date came, they could just send it all in on day 1.
Sounds like they're quite expensive electives overall due to flights, Australia not being cheap and the administration fees are extortionate! Be sure you've costed it.

Other English-speaking places like Aus would be NZ, America, Canada, Caribbean, Guyana and British territories like the Falklands. With America, bear in mind many only give you notice of your elective 4 weeks prior! And some insist on your doing some of the US exams to show you meet the benchmark and won't accept letters of equivalence from your medical school. Scandinavian countries and some cities in the Netherlands may be a good shout for English too.
Other places where English is doable are South Africa, Uganda, potentially Hong Kong (elderly pts not so much), certain bits of India e.g., Goa.
For the FY years, do we need to complete a closed loop audit or just do one part of it?
And can it be outside the specialties we've got our rotations in?
Original post by Ezme39
Ah okay thanks! I'd better start thinking now then :h: How did you find it?

I used The Electives Network for general research - it's free if you are a (free) member of the MDU. I went to the Royal Prince Alfred, which is part of Sydney University Central Clinical School (there are other clinical schools for hospitals that are a bit further out of the city) - the RPA is the big, major Sydney hospital. Loads of details available here: http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/central/electives/index.php
Original post by Anonymous
For the FY years, do we need to complete a closed loop audit or just do one part of it?

Check the wording of the FP curriculum on ePortfolio, but IIRC, for FY1 you need to be involved in a QIP, and for FY2 you need to lead a QIP/audit. Doesn't need to be a closed loop, but for specialty applications that would be useful. Doesn't need to be in your rotation, so long as you can get someone (e.g. consultant) to sign it off on your ePortfolio.
Original post by Anonymous

You don't need to do an audit at all, technically. The (current - highly subject to change) requirements are a quality improvement project in FY1 (could be something super simple, no one cares honestly) and a quality improvement project that is presented locally at FY2 (a bit more serious but still can be something very simple). In my experience the problem was turning down stupid projects offered by seniors (too ambitious, stupid design, or a proposed 'solution' that would cause way more problems than it solved), rather than trying to find one at all.

Closing an audit loop gets you lots of CV points though and is pretty easy to do. You just need to be involved in a project that has its loop closed - the loop closing doesn't have to be done by you. If you want to do this doing it during FY1 is better, as speciality applications are pretty early in FY2 (assuming no FY3 year).

Yes.
And on the topic of electives you'd be surprised by how many Middle Eastern countries use English solely as the language of teaching in hospitals and a lot of doctors and surgeons will know English to a good enough level to teach/communicate with you. Trickier to talk with patients obviously but learning French/Hebrew/Arabic (depending on where) just to speak the basics is not that difficult.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending