The Student Room Group

Charge for doctors letters

I was wondering if anyone could be given me some advice on this? I will be flying out in the next month and I was given some medical forms by my airline provider to fill out by my doctor.

I had an appointment today and the forms were filled out by my doctor. She did not say there was a fee to pay, and when I walked passed the reception to say 'thank you' as I left I was not stopped to pay a fee.

Later in the day, I recieved a missed call so I checked my voicemail and there was a message from the reception at my GP asking me to come back and pay for the forms. Can anyone tell me if they are allowed to do this.
Original post by Anonymous
I was wondering if anyone could be given me some advice on this? I will be flying out in the next month and I was given some medical forms by my airline provider to fill out by my doctor.

I had an appointment today and the forms were filled out by my doctor. She did not say there was a fee to pay, and when I walked passed the reception to say 'thank you' as I left I was not stopped to pay a fee.

Later in the day, I recieved a missed call so I checked my voicemail and there was a message from the reception at my GP asking me to come back and pay for the forms. Can anyone tell me if they are allowed to do this.

Each practice has their own policy regarding letters and forms. They can charge but to be honest, they should have told you before doing it. Maybe ask to speak to practice manager and let them know that no one told you that you would have to pay until after when. You got the message?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Each practise has it's own rules. My current one, I did manage to get a letter free. But because it's not part of NHS work, they can charge. My previous practise did have a notice up stating how much they charge for different things. But I was never charged.
Original post by Anonymous

If you can afford to fly you can afford to pay - it is not much
My GP practice charges £20 for a letter for uni if I need an extension for an assignment. Last year I had a heart attack and was charged by the hospital and my GP for uni. In total, I paid £150 for letters for the past academic year.
Reply 5
It is not within a GPs job description to co-sign any sort of form this is classed as out side of the job and you're charged accordingly £40 last time i checked?

Quick Reply

Latest