The Student Room Group

Most rational way for me to educate myself?

I am 24. Im thinking of other things to do for a living than a degree then job and dont intend to make a living off maths/science.

But id like to enhance my understanding as much as possible of science and maths.

Had the typical adolescent fixation with fermats last theorem.

Got all As at advanced higher in maths/science and qualified for british maths olympiad. Dropped out of uni 2 years into a 4 year maths bsc with ill health.

What is a realistic way to enhance my understanding? Read 3 pearls of number theory but only fully understood van der waerden prood.

Read a lot of elementary number theory like 4 square theorem, 2 square theorem, quadratic reciprocity. Used to study fair bit of elementary geometry like working through the first 15 problems and other ones here and there in new problems in euclidean geometey by david monk.

So i havent studied much maths and dont have a deep understanding.

What should i do? I have a big textbook collection of physics and maths books from undergrad to grad level.

Id like to start from the ground up in maths and physics, like start from Peanos axioms or however basic i can go.

I realise i probs sound ignorant right now but thats why im asking for advice.

Any study tips?

I have a different project unrelated to maths/science which i plan to make money from.
Original post by fermat1324
...or however basic i can go.

Start with 1+1 and work from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
did you post this just to show off?
Reply 3
Original post by theBranicAc
did you post this just to show off?

you were on my side in the thread where the guy posted the "I'm an alpha male" thing why you turned man? :frown:

and no it's not to show off. For anyone who knows about maths and actually cares they'll think I'm fairly average and might offer advice. I wanna lurn :frown:
Read Disquisitiones Arithmeticae by Carl Friedrich Gauss
Original post by fermat1324
you were on my side in the thread where the guy posted the "I'm an alpha male" thing why you turned man? :frown:

and no it's not to show off. For anyone who knows about maths and actually cares they'll think I'm fairly average and might offer advice. I wanna lurn :frown:

He is likely a troll by the looks of things/I just looked at one of his threads a few seconds ago

Quick Reply

Latest