The Student Room Group

Bad UCAS reference question

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snufkin
Students could ask for changes or exert pressure in other more subtle ways to try and force a change if they didn't like what was written. I'm sure that wouldn't influence most teachers, but there's always the chance that some will change what they said for an easier life. I can't see any reason to show an applicant their reference before it has been submitted.

I'm sure they could and do. What schools do with that pressure is up to the individual school. A school which writes what the student wants them to write is likely to have written a positive reference anyway, so it wouldn't make much difference to the outcome. I can't see why the reference should be withheld, especially given that for £10, every applicant can see the reference via UCAS if they wish. The general climate of opinion seems to me to be that most people are not in favour of having influential documents about them kept from them.
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
I asked one of my teachers for a reference and she showed it to me this morning. It is honest, but it is crap with quite a few bad points mentioned. My question is: is it too late and do I need to use this reference in my ucas application or can I just choose to not have it shown? Thanks

PS I am applying for 2017 entry

I had a terrible UCAS reference from my teachers. Absolutely awful. And I thought my teachers liked me! I still got offers from Cambridge, Durham, St Andrews, Birmingham (unconditional) and Manchester though. So, I guess it didn't matter all that much.
Original post by PQ
In the OPs case my hunch is that the reason is to put the fear of god into them to get them to turn up to lessons in future.

Definitely this, also.
Original post by PQ
In the OPs case my hunch is that the reason is to put the fear of god into them to get them to turn up to lessons in future.

Mmm okay, that's one good reason. :tongue:
Reply 24
Hope you can do something about this! Talk to the teacher and see if they can change it.
Original post by PQ

Come on, I only have one late! I am more hopeful though because of the person who said he got offers with *****y references
Reply 26
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
Come on, I only have one late! I am more hopeful though because of the person who said he got offers with *****y references

16% attendance is more than one late.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read it wrong, I thought it said "turn up to lessons on time"
At my school the teacher talked to us all individually about what we wanted to apply for and what types of things we would like to be mentioned.

The reference definitely has to be sent off, but not yet.

Perhaps you could sit down with the teacher and express your concern and see if they are happy to rephrase certain parts or mention other things?
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

He only goes in for eight days a term but he is always on time when he does. Give him some credit!
Original post by Snufkin
Why has your teacher shown you your reference? The whole point of a reference is that it's private. It seems rather odd that your teacher has written your reference before your AS exam results are out and before the 2017 cycle has even begun. It isn't uncommon for teachers not to know how to write a proper reference, find a way of showing them this: https://www.ucas.com/advisers/references/how-write-ucas-undergraduate-references

my head of sixth form allowed everyone to read their reference and to change any bits they didn't like before it was sent off...
Reply 31
Original post by Good bloke
He only goes in for eight days a term but he is always on time when he does. Give him some credit!

:toofunny:
Original post by fefssdf
my head of sixth form allowed everyone to read their reference and to change any bits they didn't like before it was sent off...

Your head of sixth form should be sacked.
Having read the whole thread imo the OP has gotten off lucky. Turning up for 16% is relevant and saying someone struggles is much kinder than a cant be bothered attitude which indicates arrogance as well as poor motivation to study. As long as the referee is relevant, fair and honest then that is what the Uni will wnat to look at.

Theres a reasonable guide here on the reference by Exeter and what they look for. the OP can read it to appreciate what the pirpose is.- notwithstanding UCAS guidance is unique.
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/webteam/shared/undergraduate/documents/teachersresourcespresentations/writingaUCASreference-hintsandtips.pdf
The UCAS link was a bit underwhelming. The OP can ofc contact them to ask for guidance. It should be possible to negotiate some amendments or change of emphasis, but there will need to be some justification for doing so, such as a change in behaviour....

Btw OP you cnat exclude it, the Unis will want to see it. You can try to get it amended or get someone else to write it.
(edited 7 years ago)
I guess there isn't any real rules in place surrounding who can and can't see the reference and I didn't change anything to it anyways lol - doubt unis reallt look at them cause most are just full of the same old BS ; mine ended on something like ' who is getting brighter everyday ' hahaha
Original post by Snufkin

She's currently on maternity but she's back in septmber :smile:
Original post by Snufkin
Really? That seems quite unfair. My teacher wouldn't even discuss it, let alone show me!

Toy are allowed to request a copy from UCAS under DP.
Original post by PQ

Possibly, but it's a bit late now and unless the OP comes back then that is what will be sent. I do think its a way of letting them know where they stand, which is slightly different.
Original post by Snufkin

Something of an extreme stance to take over someone implementing the school's policy, a policy shared by many, many schools, if not the majority, and certainly the case in the schools I know about and have worked in. It seems to be common practice throughout the country, from the threads on TSR. Most people seem opposed to the idea of information being withheld from them, as a rule. The changing of the reference is usually a negotiated practice to tailor what is said more directly to the course applied for. In my experience, anything negative tends to be left unsaid, and admissions tutors are pretty expert at reading between the lines.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Something of an extreme stance to take over someone implementing the school's policy, a policy shared by many, many schools, if not the majority, and certainly the case in the schools I know about and have worked in. It seems to be common practice throughout the country, from the threads on TSR. Most people seem opposed to the idea of information being withheld from them, as a rule. The changing of the reference is usually a negotiated practice to tailor what is said more directly to the course applied for. In my experience, anything negative tends to be left unsaid, and admissions tutors are pretty expert at reading between the lines.

I was only half serious, maybe that didn't come across... oh well. :o:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending