The Student Room Group

Thoughts about getting a tattoo before going into social work...

I've been living in the Midwestern USA for the past five years where most people our age have tattoos, so it's not really taboo or seen as incredibly unprofessional in the workplace- just the more discreet, the better.

I'm moving back to England this summer and will be starting my master's in Social Work this autumn. I'm a little out of touch with the culture, so asking advice: I would really like to get a tattoo before I leave. It would be subtle and tasteful, just a small line pattern on my upper arm, sort of like henna. Is this a terrible idea? How are tattoos viewed in the UK in this field? Would I need to constantly cover it up at work (or even at uni) or are people becoming more accepting of them?

Any thoughts appreciated! Sincerely, slightly eccentric English-American hybrid
Reply 1
Hi Jenna.
I am waiting for my interview for a MA in Social Work and will wear a long sleeved shirt to cover up my tattoo, but only because I have the same question as you, how are tattoos depicted in the field?

I can tell you now, during lectures at University, it won't matter at all! The culture in the UK re tattoos has changed a lot and they are more and more common nowadays. In my current line of work, in IT, I work with people covered in them and no one bats an eyelid, not even customers or the top executives.

If I go for interviews I just tend to wear a long shirt then it can't be seen. I tend to wear long armed clothes anyway and roll the sleeves up to about a third of the arm so the whole thing isn't showing, just a portion.

I think as long as its tasteful and doesn't have the opportunity to offend someone you should be OK. My tattoo is just a load of birds that span from my wrist to my elbow, so it's no that offensive. Some people may not like it, but it's not like I have offensive material on my arm, birds are seen as peaceful so the tattoo is to represent that a long with freedom.

I still plan to get more in the future, possibly a redesign of the one on my arm, I know the culture in the UK now is less negative over tattoos as they used to be, I work with people covered in them.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest