The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by khanpatel321
People are on the course with much less than ABB I imagine!!!!!

Nope.

None have less than 144 points - equivalent to AAA (although that doesn't factor in EPQs, 4th A-levels, etc...)

https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/entry/10007798FT-238/ReturnTo/
Original post by Doonesbury
Nope.

None have less than 144 points - equivalent to AAA (although that doesn't factor in EPQs, 4th A-levels, etc...)

https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/entry/10007798FT-238/ReturnTo/

Some of my mates got much less than AAA and are on the course.

But they completed a foundation year, that's what I meant.
Original post by khanpatel321
Some of my mates got much less than AAA and are on the course.

But they completed a foundation year, that's what I meant.

Ah, fair enough :smile:
Hey everyone, I just stumbled across my old login and thought I'd come check this out. I did Chem Eng at Imperial and it was a really good course. Wherever you pick, choose a university which you like the feel of when you visited it during an open day...or when you visit it for an interview if you have not been already.

Mark
Can any current chemical engineering students (preferably UCL) tell me how much further maths is in the first year? Things like complex numbers,matrices and further calculus? And wether I should look into it all before the start of the course as I didn't do further maths.
Original post by Tmann1125
Can any current chemical engineering students (preferably UCL) tell me how much further maths is in the first year? Things like complex numbers,matrices and further calculus? And wether I should look into it all before the start of the course as I didn't do further maths.

Complex numbers? This is the real world pal
Original post by ploysaranr
I am a third year Imperial ChemEng. Feel free to ask anything :smile:

Do you know what the typical entry requirements are for Imperial? From when you applied or is the high grades just for show?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ∆us
Do you know what the typical entry requirements are for Imperial? From when you applied or is the high grades just for show?

Mine was A*A*AA. Some people even got A*A*A*A. However, I got A*AAA and got in. I was pretty lucky cause I know one girl who missed her offer by one A* as well last year but didn't get it
Mine was A*A*AA. Some people even got A*A*A*A. However, I got A*AAA and got in. I was pretty lucky cause I know one girl who missed her offer by one A* as well last year but didn't get it

Thanks for the answer. Does it matter if you don't have further maths?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ∆us
Thanks for the answer. Does it matter if you don't have further maths?

some people don't have further maths and still get in so it's not a necessity but it will be very useful to do it if you could :smile:
Original post by timster32
Complex numbers? This is the real world pal

Odd as it may sound you still use complex numbers in engineering mate
Original post by Tmann1125
Odd as it may sound you still use complex numbers in engineering mate

Wow!
How does the grade system thingy work at UCL?
Original post by timster32
Wow!

We did complex numbers in first year in Imperial.
some people don't have further maths and still get in so it's not a necessity but it will be very useful to do it if you could :smile:

Could you give like a rough background of ethnicities in your year. I can't find it on the website. Thanks for the info btw, really want to go imperial.
Original post by ∆us
Could you give like a rough background of ethnicities in your year. I can't find it on the website. Thanks for the info btw, really want to go imperial.

This is a very rough approximation from my memory. Holiday was so long I just couldn't rememeber. 50% international (asian, black etc) 30% EU 20% home. this is a very rough approximation so don't trust me on it. Good luck on your application to Imperial though!
This is a very rough approximation from my memory. Holiday was so long I just couldn't rememeber. 50% international (asian, black etc) 30% EU 20% home. this is a very rough approximation so don't trust me on it. Good luck on your application to Imperial though!

Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest