The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nc1999
Highly doubt you're crappy if you got in! It's just worrying bc I haven't got A2 or AS Physics. I'm doing Maths, Chemistry, Biology and picked up AS F maths (A*A*AA). Are the people on your course ridiculously clever? And how many don't have physics ? lmao

yes and no, sorry for the brutal answer haha
What's the average time for a response from UCL???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Johncenaofficial

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied in october and i still havent heard anything from UCL, what is their usual offer AAA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Khanman123
I applied in october and i still havent heard anything from UCL, what is their usual offer AAA?

About a month for me.
I applied on 7/10 and received UCL's offer on 3/11.
Yeah the standard offer is either A*AA or AAA.
In my case it's AAA
Original post by ML8020
About a month for me.
I applied on 7/10 and received UCL's offer on 3/11.
Yeah the standard offer is either A*AA or AAA.
In my case it's AAA

Did they interview you or give u an offer straight away?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

they don't interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

No interview, straight offer.
Kinda unsure about which unis now, bath is good, but its very boring. Manchester isnt as good, but its a better place to live. UCL is probably the worst of the 3 but its london baby! Anyone got any advice?
Kinda unsure about which unis now, bath is good, but its very boring. Manchester isnt as good, but its a better place to live. UCL is probably the worst of the 3 but its london baby! Anyone got any advice?

why would manchester be a better place to live than bath
Original post by lai812matthew
why would manchester be a better place to live than bath

Just seems dead quiet, manchester is just busier.im actually at my open day/interview right now haha. Anyone in the lunch room right now holler at me yh
Just got an interview offer from Loughborough and Manchester what should I expect at the interview
Original post by reginaph
really? i thought they interviewed all applicants, that's what i read on their website. Could i ask what your studying for As and what your predicted grades are?

Thats what I thought as well. I guess my personal statement was pretty good (spent like 3 months on it). I am studying Biology Chemistry (new spec so i haven't done the AS i have to do it in 2 years) and Maths which i got a B in AS although I am retaking some modules, and A* already achieved in Arabic.

Predicted are AAB in Maths Chem Biology respectively.
Original post by debs20153
Just got an interview offer from Loughborough and Manchester what should I expect at the interview

Lucky you, i just had my interview. Its so boring, first you get a quick talk from a teacher (i had james), thats okay he just bigs manny up a lot. After that we had lunch, talk to a few students. Then its the tour. Thats absolutely awful. Had to waith for about an hour for my interview( tbf thats was pretty chill and they give u free coke). Now for the juicy bits.....

[Do not discuss the contents of interviews]

Most of the interview was the guy trying to persuade me to switch from just Meng to Meng with a year in industry. The guy said it went very well. So good luck and hope that helped brah.
(edited 7 years ago)
Lucky you, i just had my interview.

was the question an a level one
(edited 7 years ago)
Lucky you, i just had my interview. .

Please don't discuss interview details.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I considered this when I was looking for an insurance.
One of Cambridge/Imperial as my firm no doubt. But for insurance, there are loads of options that have a suitable grade requirements such as Bath, Birmingham, Manchester and UCL. I decided to pick UCL as insurance ultimately.

Bath was probably not the uni for me. I came from a big city and enjoyed the hustle and bustle a lot. Living in a small town like Bath is way too boring and inconvenient so I eliminated it from my choices.
I know Cambridge is a small town too so I will have to adapt to a new lifestyle if I am fortunate enough to get the offer from Cambridge, but I'm willing to compromise for Cambridge and only Cambridge (you know, that overwhelming prestige). Bath's attraction is not great enough to drag me out from a city.:tongue:

Birmingham was actually a good insurance, located in a big city and good reputation/graduate prospects for Chem Eng. But the problem is I'm too familiar with here (The sixth form that I am studying in now is near Birmingham) and staying here does not give me a feeling of "going to uni". I'd prefer somewhere further away from my familiar areas.

Manchester... I didn't do much research about it but it didn't seem too fascinating for me. (Idk why, maybe just no love at first sight?:colonhash:)

UCL is the best option in my opinion. London is definitely a grand city and I would be delighted to live there. Its Chem Eng course might not be as reputable as the uni itself, but I think it is still good enough for me to study there. Being a targeted uni, UCL also provides me an alternative career path to enter the finance/banking industry if I somehow decide not to stay in the Engineering sector in the future.

Pure personal opinions, hope it helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
predicted A*A*A. I'm thinking of applying to Imperial, Birmingham, Nottingham, Bradford. unsure of 5th, want a city university
Just seems dead quiet, manchester is just busier.im actually at my open day/interview right now haha. Anyone in the lunch room right now holler at me yh

Mate, I had my interview as well today!
Original post by Chemgawd99
predicted A*A*A. I'm thinking of applying to Imperial, Birmingham, Nottingham, Bradford. unsure of 5th, want a city university

Edinburgh?
Original post by timster32
Edinburgh?

I might. I never though about applying to a Scottish uni. apparently bot the social and academic life is amazing

Quick Reply

Latest